Discuss EICR codes when RECENT works don't comply!? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spin, you said in a previous post:
EICR- Are Rcd's necessary ? - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/eicr-are-rcds-necessary.108681/

""The socket may well be used for the mower.
However the mower may have an RCD plug, or may be used with a plug in RCD adapter.
The socket (unless it is intended for a specific item of equipment) fails to comply with current Regulations, as it has no RCD protection. To then make a further observation based on the fact that it fails to comply with something that is no longer a requirement of the Regulations, would mean that you are not conducting the inspection, in accordance with the requirements of BS7671.

If it is the case, that at the time of design/construction of the installation, the requirement to provide RCD protection for socket-outlets which could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors was in force, then you have an installation which has never complied with the requirements of BS7671.
As such the requirement which allows for installations which complied at the time of their design/construction to not be deemed unsafe does not apply.
This would mean that a code C2 would be applicable for all general use sockets, cables concealed in walls, circuits of locations containing baths or showers, etc.""
Yes, I believe the let out clause for installations which complied at the time of their design/construction would not apply to an installation which has never complied.
However, I would not be making an observation and applying a code about a non-compliance with a 16th edition Regulation that is no longer in use.

It’s quite simple.
The requirement now, is for all sockets (except those for specific items of equipment) to be provided with RCD protection.
If you have a situation where there are sockets without RCD protection, you make an observation and code appropriately.
You don’t then add another observation because some of those sockets might be used for equipment outdoors, as there is no longer a requirement that specifies sockets used to supply equipment outdoors require RCD protection.
Mobile equipment used outdoors is required to be RCD protected.
That could be by means of an RCD socket, an RCD FCU, an RCD plug or an RCD plug in adapter.

I am not going off a previous reg to be honest i didnt even know the reg existed i am going off what i think would be a resonable assumption if i see sockets without near a back window or door or somewhere like that and there is a electric lawn mower in the back yard i am going to resonably assume it would be plugged into the socket if however i see a rcd extention lead or something like that then i would not code it a C2.

Lets just agree to disagree my experiance is more than likely alot less than you seen as i have only been qualified a couple years but thats just my interpritation of bs7671 thata what i would code.

Customer is looking to purchase the home

I don't want to do that unnecessarily, this is why I'm asking for your opinions

There are also other issues like:

1.Sockets installed behind built in appliances with no isolation
2.Oven circuit - no isolator + hob ignitor wired direct to connection outlet
3.Main bond to water before stop cock - then plastic inline connector - no continuity present past the break, no supplementary bonding in bathrooms. (No code as it's now not an extraneous conductive part?)
4.Main bond to Gas not connected
5. IP top of CU, finger easy

....There are sooo many ways,we could go,with that one...;)

Problem here, is that there is no longer a requirement to provide RCD protection for sockets that might be used to supply equipment outdoors.
Would it be right to make an observation and apply a code for a non-compliance with a requirement from an earlier edition?
But it still doesn’t comply with current regs so would be a C3 because that requirement was removed when they changed to the requirement for all socket outlets not exceeding 20a to be RCD protected
Changes to requirements for RCD protection of socket-outlets - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/54/changes-to-requirements-for-rcd-protection-of-socket-outlets/

Reply to EICR codes when RECENT works don't comply!? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net