• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss EICR Coding - Armour not glanded in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

Doing EICR on a HMO, DB feeds a Consumer Unit in each room. The feeds to each consumer unit seem to be SWA however the armour is not visible/accessible at either the consumer unit or the DB - it seems to have been cut out behind the DB which is inaccessible.

The cable is buried in the walls and originally I wasn't happy about this, with it not being RCD protected. Originally I was thinking a C2, but now I've had time to mull it over a bit I'm thinking C3 - why would it be any different to a lighting cable buried in the wall without RCD protection.

Then I eventually realised the sensible thing to do was post here and see what everyone else thought.

It would be a C3, you are right, same as any other cable in a wall less than 50mm deep without RCD protection. If there is not even a gland then it would be safe to assume that no metal containment has been used in the walls for it.

I'm assuming there is a cpc contained within the cable of course.

C3 also for lack of proper mechanical connection (gland)

If the armour is not earthed at either end then I'd be tempted to go C2 as with using ADS the armour needs to be earthed at least one end preferably the supply end.
If cable is damaged and the armour becomes live it causes a real shock hazard.

If the armour is not earthed at either end then I'd be tempted to go C2 as with using ADS the armour needs to be earthed at least one end preferably the supply end.
Yeah, so you're saying an unglanded SWA cable buried is more dangerous that a buried T+E because of that floating SWA.

I thought about that but decided that would come under earthing of exposed conductive parts. It has been said that the SWA is not visible or accessible at either end though.

Not sure now, lol. Anyone else ?

The armour would be classed as an exposed conductive part and would require connecting to earth especially as ADS is the preferred use of fault protection.
I hear what your saying that it's not glanded but it should be so my thoughts are C2

So remedial work isn't even as easy as throwing an RCD on the distribution circuits, it's more serious and needs that armouring to be somehow glanded off?

So remedial work isn't even as easy as throwing an RCD on the distribution circuits, it's more serious and needs that armouring to be somehow glanded off?
The armour becomes pretty well exposed with a nail through it. The layer of PVC below the armour is bedding,there for mechanical protection against the armour. This does not qualify as class II construction, so as it's buried in the wall I'd say it's potentially dangerous if not connected to earth.

You may also get voltage appearing on the armour through capacitive coupling

But there is no firm evidence it is actually SWA, could be another cable type like Hituff ?

You can't say that buried metal is an exposed conductive part because it may become exposed if someone hits a nail into it. It is either exposed at the time of inspection or it isn't.

But there is no firm evidence it is actually SWA, could be another cable type like Hituff ?

You can't say that buried metal is an exposed conductive part because it may become exposed if someone hits a nail into it. It is either exposed at the time of inspection or it isn't.
If there is a risk of mechanical damage by penetrating the unearthed armour I'd say it's potentially dangerous.
If it's not swa then no worries.

Just my view on it I would C2 it.
Same as if I'd used steel conduit to mechanically protect cables in a wall if it's not connected to earth it's potentially dangerous if penetrated by nails/screws.
I can't see how it would only be a C3 and left satisfactory on a report.

If there is a risk of mechanical damage by penetrating the unearthed armour I'd say it's potentially dangerous.

Just my view on it I would C2 it.
Same as if I'd used steel conduit to mechanically protect cables in a wall if it's not connected to earth it's potentially dangerous if penetrated by nails/screws.
I can't see how it would only be a C3 and left satisfactory on a report.

Same as you would issue a C3 to a twin and earth cable in a wall. No difference in terms of hazards.

Can't say for certain that it is armour except by previous reports saying it's armour - whether there's any truth in these previous EICRs is another matter, but I'm thinking C2 now to cover my backside. Okay, it may not be SWA, but at the moment all evidence leads me to believe it is.

Reply to EICR Coding - Armour not glanded in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back