Discuss EICR coding for transportable unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Slurps

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently carried out an EICR on a transportable unit and all circuit wiring has been installed in Twin & Earth. According to regs only flexible cabling should be used due to frequent movement, vibrations etc. I myself wouldn't deem this as needing urgent action and think it would be a little extreme to suggest rewiring, circuits tested out fine and connections were still tight and secure so was leaning more toward a C3 code, but it is a direct departure from regulations.

Just wondered how others would code as this could potentially decide the satisfactory / unsatisfactory outcome of the report.

Thanks

Hi all,

I've recently carried out an EICR on a transportable unit and all circuit wiring has been installed in Twin & Earth. According to regs only flexible cabling should be used due to frequent movement, vibrations etc. I myself wouldn't deem this as needing urgent action and think it would be a little extreme to suggest rewiring, circuits tested out fine and connections were still tight and secure so was leaning more toward a C3 code, but it is a direct departure from regulations.

Just wondered how others would code as this could potentially decide the satisfactory / unsatisfactory outcome of the report.

Thanks
What regulation are you referring to slurps, how big is the unit? transportable units usually come under ISITEE.

Yes, not frequently but it does have various locations. It's an NHS Mobile Breast Screening Unit. Don't know exact size but would say around 11m x 2m.

Referring to Regualtion 717.52.2

Yes, not frequently but it does have various locations. It's an NHS Mobile Breast Screening Unit. Don't know exact size but would say around 11m x 2m.

Thanks for that slurps

I think after reading that this Regulation refers to the cable connecting the transportable unit to the supply, and not the internal wiring, it will be interesting to hear others replies.

I do testing and maintanance of transportable units for a large nationwide company that hires transportable offices etc to building sites. Pretty much all of them are wired in T+E.
I did discussed this with NICEIC technical help, he said its fine.
I forget exactly what he said, but essentially its for the likes of caravans, burger vans, HGV hospitality units etc. i.e. things on wheels and constantly moving. So i guess these NHS things would possibly come under this?

Makes no reference to Portakabins, the intention of the Section is transportable units with wheels which are subject to frequent movement.

Portacabins become part of the fixed installation on some sites and this is referenced in section 704 scope as administrative locations of construction sites and toilets , canteens and offices etc are subject to parts 1-6 only.
I believe section 717 deals with units that are basically there one day and gone within the next day or two.
Basically constantly on the move and mobile from site to site

Last edited:
Thanks, appreciate all of your comments, although this unit is on wheels (at the rear) and towed I think I'll stick with my original coding as placements are usually for months at a time so any movement that may effect the installation is minimal.

While I'm at it, any opinions on SY being acceptable as hook up cable?

Personally I supply Ho7RN-F, but in this instance the existing cable is SY and showing signs of deterioration to the outer sheath and corrosion to the braiding. Have come across lots used for exterior purposes but also come across lots with this problem.

Reply to EICR coding for transportable unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net