Discuss EICR coding help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Plonker 3

After going to church this morning I had a EICR to do for a friend where someone had been growing some illegal substances and the police or DNO had removed the meter for evidence. So only dead test can be carried out and it needed a EICR before a new meter is fitted. The RFC is protected by a Type 2 BS 3871 L+N both had continuity but there wasn't any on the CPC R1+R2 is 0.8 on the circuit I am thinking a C3 as proved there is a CPC at every socket just no continuity on it.

Any one have any thoughts that agree or disagree?

C3 wirth a further investigation. possibly a C2 if the cpc as it is can't handle the pefc.

annoyingly , breaks in any of the conductors of a ring usually warrant a C2 due to the requirement for it to be complete to function as designed.
a bit harsh maybe but there you go.

but if its someone i'd like to help out ( like a cash payer ) then i suppose i could let a C3 slip by without losing too much sleep.........

hardly life or death is it. ;-)

though i expect some hand wringing panicky fool to follow with tales of doom :)

Unfortunately this departure warrants a C2 observation. if you have 0.8 R1+R2 by the time you get power connected and get a Ze reading chances are you'd be bordering on not achieving the maximum zs tolerance of the mcb you have which is 1.03. This would also warrant a code C2. Wasn't any investigation possible during the test? it may be something as simple as a loose connection at an outlet.

He's probably thinking along the lines of allowing a Zs up to 1667 ohms for a 30mA rcd.

Personally, I'd give it a C2.

Yes that was the point. If the circuit has no rcd he's tied to the mcb max value to achieve the 0.4 sec disconnection time in the event of a fault. I'd attribute a C2 aswell but i can understand it being a bit awkward if your doing it for a friend. Still safety is paramount in our game regardless of friendship.

But don't forget parallel paths will reduce Zs when the circuit is energized as bonding was present to gas and water.

But don't forget parallel paths will reduce Zs when the circuit is energized as bonding was present to gas and water.

Yes indeed but the issue we have is that we dont know what the Ze is. You could calculate the overall zs by using the values set out in OSG but in both cases this wont help you because both tn-s and tn-c-s max ze values would send your max zs value way above the tolerance of your mcb and not even parallel paths will influence the reading to that extent. Give it a C2 mate and advise your friend that further investigation is required.

everyone seems to be getting hung up on the issue of Zs , and whether this circuit would meet the max value with a broken conductor

its a completely seperate issue to the defect being discussed and should be coded in isolation.

Personally I would code it a 3,as there is cpc continuity at each point it is hardly potentially dangerous. A break in r1 or rn would be a different matter and would warrent a 2 assuming 2.5 RFC coductors and 30/32a OCPD. As esteemed forum troll said...the affect on disconnection times is a different matter to be coded separtely.

Reply to EICR coding help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock