Discuss EICR - Commercial - 20 letters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
25mm tails ran to metal C.U direct. 99% of the run is through attic space and not chased. 1% is burried behind plasterboard. Length of run is over 3 meters. DNO Fuse rated at 60 Amps. Not SWA

TNCS

Im going to recomend a KMF fitted, whats the purpose of KMF when DNO fuse is rated less than the 25mm tails?

Would you recomend up front RCD protection to cover the small area of "burried cable"

I don't really recommend too much, just state facts. The supply to the consumer unit has not been provided with suitable circuit protection. Also the supply does not have additional rcd protection where contained in a wall without earth containment.

As above, an EICR should merely state the facts and not recommend any particular solution. If you like you can attach a cover letter stating the various options/costings, but that is not the purpose of the EICR which is merely to highlight non-compliances adversely affecting the safety of the installation. As such it should be a document of fact and not opinion.

Agree with what your saying, im writing the report now and ofc have failed it based on lack of protection.

However when the customer asks me how to make it comply I dont want to look like a retard and not know the answer :)

KMF and RCD? - s type

Or... just a KMF?

Dude just read the regs, what level of rcd protection is required for cables buried less than 50mm in a wall without earthed mechanical protection......

If your thinking ahead to resolving then an rcd as sensative as is required to satisfy the above is not a good idea

Think you need to assess the risk if asked for a remedial solution. What is the likelihood of it ever creating a dangerous situation if additional rcd protection is not put in place.

i'd recommend 3mm thick steel plate over the buried part of the tails. ( but that's after beer. tomorrow i might recommend someting different, like a pic of a clown with a drill poised over the cable, captioned as " do not let this idiot continue". :p:p:p.

Reply to EICR - Commercial - 20 letters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net