Discuss EICR for rented flat - ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice. Forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. I own a flat and I rent it. I have a new tenant and I think I should have a EICR certificate. I had the flat rewired in 1997 and then had some new sockets put in 5 years ago. I never got an EICR when the electrician did the sockets. I am just nervous by nature and like to have everything ship shape. However, I also worry needlessly (some would say) and am now worrying that as I cannot be physically at the flat when the electrician comes (I haven't actually made an appointment yet) that the electrician might say I need work done when I don't actually. Can you please allay my fears, could he/she do that, how likely is it .... I might be able to arrange for my daughter to be there when he comes ... I will also get a PAT done at the same time. Many thanks Ludmilla

Hi L, if you intend hiring an Electrician to do a Report on your flat you need to hire one you trust. If not, you are not going to calm your nerves ! In my view the EICR is the most difficult task we perform and takes considerable experience to get right. There may be experienced people here that can help you.

I am sure you know it is a wicked world we live in and of course people can and will cheat you. From the supermarkets you shop in to the "friends" you have to the tradesmen you use. There is no way of knowing in your current state of knowledge. What I can suggest is get the EICR done and post it up here. We will be able to see if it is right or not. Also tell us what work needs to be done and we can give a very educated guess as to whether it is necessary.
I am sorry to see you don't trust us electricians, but I can understand why you may not.

I am sure you know it is a wicked world we live in and of course people can and will cheat you. From the supermarkets you shop in to the "friends" you have to the tradesmen you use. There is no way of knowing in your current state of knowledge. What I can suggest is get the EICR done and post it up here. We will be able to see if it is right or not. Also tell us what work needs to be done and we can give a very educated guess as to whether it is necessary.
I am sorry to see you don't trust us electricians, but I can understand why you may not.

Thank you for your reply, its not that I don't trust Electricians, it is that it is a subject I know absolutely nothing about and also it is something that is so potentially dangerous, so if you are anxious like me, it is a mix which is fraught with possibilities.

a genuine electrician would be certain to do a good job for a reasonable cost. problem is that there are that many cowboys out there that will either rip customers off with high prices or do a bodge job to keep the price below a genuine quote. personal recommendation is the keyword here. if someone you know has hired a good spark, then that's an indication that you'll get a genuine bloke (lass) to do your work.

The electrician who did the sockets should have given you a MWC not an EICR.

My advice is to get an EICR done, expect a minimum of £135, then review the findings against this:

https://www.select.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Best-Practice-Guide-4-Issue-4.pdf

The EICR is a document comprising of 7+ pages

Hope this helps

Is the £135 for all domestic eicrs or do you step up/ down the price dependant on no of beds? What about if the house contains storage heaters?

^^ the op says a flat in London, so it s likely to be 2 bed max.

Personally I vary my rates upwards from this depending on numbers of circuits et - the one above is my minimum ....

Thank you for your reply, its not that I don't trust Electricians, it is that it is a subject I know absolutely nothing about and also it is something that is so potentially dangerous, so if you are anxious like me, it is a mix which is fraught with possibilities.

You used the words potentially dangerous,its a suitable phrase
In the real world (although on an individual scale tragic)injuries and deaths through electric shock are few and far between

There is much more potential danger with freezers/dryers etc causing death and injury through fire than ever there are injury from the fixed wiring

I can't speak for others on here but when we carry out periodic inspection and testing we offer this service independent from any remedial work required.

In other words we will provide an EICR and recommendations if applicable but we won't do any remedial work if required. This way, we can assure clients that our services have been provided in an unbiased way.

The easiest way to be sure that your contractor won't fabricate observations in order to make money on the remedials is to hire them on this basis and to ensure that they know they are being hired on this basis.

Reply to EICR for rented flat - ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net