Discuss EICR for support request and advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Good evening forumist.
Apology in advance, the post is a bit lengthy and please don't cane me too much, am in learning process.
I did an EICR for a 4 bedroom bunglow, as part of learning curve I came across the attached CU
1. which doesn't have a busbar, MCB are link with 2.5mm2 wire from live terminal of 63A 30mA RCDs which are used as main switch, Is this acceptable, if not, what code would give?
2. The board is a hager frush 2 tier, 14 ways. The box is plastic with a metal door, to my understanding it is not AMD3 compliance what are your thoughts and opinions?
3. I understand TT system require RCD, for fault protection, can additional protection 63A 30mA RCD be sufficient for 3 functions (main switch, additional and fault protection) or should we recommend an additional RCD.
Kind regards

EICR for support request and advice 20180528_123919 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR for support request and advice 20180528_123926 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR for support request and advice 20180528_133725 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR for support request and advice 20180528_123915 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR for support request and advice 20180528_120445 - EletriciansForums.net

This looks like a burnout waiting to happen, the busbar or replacement should be rated to the main switch at least unless you can show that it could never draw enough current to overrate the linking cable, in this situe' I highly doubt this is the case.

Shame really as that could have been a nice bespoke board if it wasn't an inherent fire hazard through poor design.

This looks like a burnout waiting to happen, the busbar or replacement should be rated to the main switch at least unless you can show that it could never draw enough current to overrate the linking cable, in this situe' I highly doubt this is the case.

Shame really as that could have been a nice bespoke board if it wasn't an inherent fire hazard through poor design.
Thanks sir Darwood, I told the client the CU is not right, she said she is not worried as they haven't had any problem since they bought the house in 2005.
The 2 RCDs are supplied from a henry block at meter box outside with 16 and 25mm respectively.
I went to check the connection at HB, it was loose and arcing.
In btw how will you code the busbar issue?

That looks like one I came across recently and nearly as rough but at least it had proper busbars. That looks lethal and as said a fire waiting to happen! Why would you mix mcbs and rcds like that too! And 63a rcd main switch would not offer any discrimination in the event of a fault.EICR for support request and advice IMG_20180129_0939400 - EletriciansForums.net

That looks like one I came across recently and nearly as rough but at least it had proper busbars. That looks lethal and as said a fire waiting to happen! Why would you mix mcbs and rcds like that too! And 63a rcd main switch would not offer any discrimination in the event of a fault.View attachment 42538
I actually thought was one of my photos. I couldn't understand.
I suppose b4 i became an expert I will come a cross a few halloween installations.

Not sure the board must be metal - check installation date perhaps? If there was no sign of heat damage already I'd C2 the no busbar bit. For TT the upfront isolator might be better as a 100mA S type, with the usual 30mA RCDs to follow.

There seems to be a lot of step by step guides to EICRs recently, I see this as no different to a diyer asking for step by step guides to a situation at which they are not competent. If this seems harsh consider you are charging a person their hard earned money to give expert opinion whilst seeking advise from a forum because you have no expert opinion.

There seems to be a lot of step by step guides to EICRs recently, I see this as no different to a diyer asking for step by step guides to a situation at which they are not competent. If this seems harsh consider you are charging a person their hard earned money to give expert opinion whilst seeking advise from a forum because you have no expert opinion.

I've just been perusing the OP's initial posts on the forum from last year ................... best you take a read.

In addition to above, they have 7 lighting circuits with overload MCBs i.e 16, 20 and 32s A.

Reply to EICR for support request and advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock