Discuss EICR : Is this a code 2 or not? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all,

Ok let’s get straight to the question.

Is the below a code 2 defect on a EICR??

A 16amp bs61009 supplying a single 1.5mm FP200 cable with a run of approximately 8 meters, which is feeding a IP rated single socket for a grease trap unit. The socket is low level behind the grease trap and it’s sole use is to supply the grease trap ( no extension leads or anything as in a commercial kitchen ).
I’m 95% sure 1.5mm fp is rated at 16.5 amps when enclosed and 19 amp when in free air?
The run is on tray with a 1.5m drop of 20mm PVC conduit down to the socket.

hi all,

Ok let’s get straight to the question.

Is the below a code 2 defect on a EICR??

A 16amp bs61009 supplying a single 1.5mm FP200 cable with a run of approximately 8 meters, which is feeding a IP rated single socket for a grease trap unit. The socket is low level behind the grease trap and it’s sole use is to supply the grease trap ( no extension leads or anything as in a commercial kitchen ).
I’m 95% sure 1.5mm fp is rated at 16.5 amps when enclosed and 19 amp when in free air?
The run is on tray with a 1.5m drop of 20mm PVC conduit down to the socket.
What environment has this cable been installed in? What table in the Regulations / table, did you find the rating for FP 1.5mm2 cable?

This is a EICR that has already been carried out by another contractor and we get the remedial works following the test.

I have now installed a fused spur next to the board to protect the cable, but I was almost certain that fp could carry the current rating of the protective device feeding it of 16 amps.

Where have I seen those values though I don’t recall?!

Yep, single socket. This was my thinking. Although not a fixed appliance and one could say that an extension lead could be plugged in causing over load, but where the socket is located fixed behind a big heavy grease trap unit which is in turn fixed to stainless catering equipment the chances of that are slim at best

Personnally I don't think I would of coded it C2. Maybe C3 or no code with an observation.

I agree the ccc for fp200 cable is 16.5A its only got one single socket so can only have 1 13A plugged into it.
The max load is going to be 13A unless an extension lead is ever plugged into it, but that's the case with any socket.
I got the ccc from manufacturers specs.

For an easy life I think I would just change the cable if the access is good rather than get into a debate over which sparky is correct. It's only an 8 meter run.
The time debating, arguing, discussing with client I could have just done it.

I like little brain teasers like this they make you think. It's why I love this job.

That’s exactly my thought process, another option I was considering was to change socket to a spur to make it a fixed appliance so no chance of anything else being plugged in. Regarding replacing the cable, it’s in a small room back of house which is part office and part store room, which is a link corridor from kitchen to walk in freezer. The cable runs up and over the door on tray and didn’t want to be that guy saying I’ve got to close off the only door in and out for something I had two other solutions/ methods of rectifying an issue I don’t believe to be. Lol.
But just thought I’d share with everyone.

Yeh I agree I just think whoever carried out the EICR seen the 1.5mm and thought straight away it’s protective device is over rated with not even giving consideration to type of cable being used. I also agree the RCBO is there to protect the cable and nothing else, appliances have their own fuse for protection.

Tabulated values (table 4D2A) are 16.5A for ref method B and 19.5A for ref method C
Minimum permitted cable size for a power circuit is 1.5mm

So assuming there are no de-rating factors to be applied then I don’t see any reason to record it as an observation on an EICR.

I had someone try to code a similar circuit I had installed a little while ago, 16A RCBO feeding a twin socket via 2 metres of 1.5mm SWA clipped direct. Thankfully the customer was on the ball and produced the installation certificate and suggested they phone me if they needed clarification, so the numpty gave up on that one.

Tabulated values (table 4D2A) are 16.5A for ref method B and 19.5A for ref method C

So assuming there are no de-rating factors to be applied then I don’t see any reason to record it as an observation on an EICR.

I had someone try to code a similar circuit I had installed a little while ago, 16A RCBO feeding a twin socket via 2 metres of 1.5mm SWA clipped direct. Thankfully the customer was on the ball and produced the installation certificate and suggested they phone me if they needed clarification, so the numpty gave up on that one.
Not sure but does FP 200 fall under this category??

Not sure but does FP 200 fall under this category??

Reply to EICR : Is this a code 2 or not? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock