Discuss EICR Limitation - no L to N IR Test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

smity

-
Reaction score
Alrite lads,

i am am currently buying a house and as part of the valuation report they wanted a EICR doing as the electrics are clearly old.

So the owner employed a company to do the report and I have been passed on a copy. Now i I don't do EICR's but one of the limitations sounded strange to me and they haven't given a reason.

The limitation is - no L to N IR test

Why are your thoughts on this? Seems abit of a cop out to me, is this an acceptable limitation especially with no reason on the document? Iam not too bothered as I will be rewiring at some stage and putting a split board in straight away so will end up having it tested but seemed strange.

cheers

it's fairly common for 2 reasons.

1. all loads need to be dissed in order to IR test L-N.

2. any sensitive equipment left in circuit may be destroyed by IR test.

I presumed this would be the case but surely that's the whole idea of testing an installation? So can you put a limitation of not testing sockets as my back hurts and can't neel down?

it's fairly common for 2 reasons.

1. all loads need to be dissed in order to IR test L-N.

2. any sensitive equipment left in circuit may be destroyed by IR test.

A lot of our clients stipulate this as they won't pay for us or anyone else to disconnect every single load etc, in a house though I personally would go the extra as it should not be that hard to disconnect most things.

Some clients have requested we test at 250v too as they have sensitive (dimmer packs) etc connected at high level and will not take them down.

So there are a range of reasons people request things and ultimately it's normally down to price. Time = money

a L-N IR test would always be done on a new install, but on a EICR, unless there was a concern about the circuit, it's not usually done.

Agreed, a quite legitimate Limitation, which is described in GN3 thus ".. the most practical test is .. between live conductors (joined together) and earth. In practice, time does not usually allow for a line to neutral test."

The same goes for the Zs live test. Why bother if you have already done the R1 + R2 testing. No need at all, it just takes you mor etime, and tells you nothing more than you already knew.

Some clients have requested we test at 250v too as they have sensitive (dimmer packs) etc connected at high level and will not take them down.

Which is completely pointless as this is less than the peak voltage of the AC supply that you are testing the insulation' suitability for.

What kind of dimmer is going to suffer from a L+N to E IR test at 500V?

The same goes for the Zs live test. Why bother if you have already done the R1 + R2 testing. No need at all, it just takes you mor etime, and tells you nothing more than you already knew.

Are you on a wind up?
Circuits with good continuity of the CPC can still have unacceptable EFLI!

There is no reason why this test should be omitted ,especially in a house,where I would of thought it would be no problem isolating all equipment plugged in etc,cheers

Are you on a wind up?
Circuits with good continuity of the CPC can still have unacceptable EFLI!

How so?
Continuity of R2 is not enough to calculate Zs, you do a R1+R2, then it can be seen pretty quickly if it is likely to comply.
You know the R1+R2, you know the maximum size of the permitted Zs, you know the Ze of the installation, so before you do a live Zs test, you should know whether it is likely to pass or fail.
Doing a live Zs test adds further time and inconsistency into the results.
Try a Megger or Metrel tester through a MK CB and RCD on a no-trip setting, and you will not get an accurate result due to the internal windings of the RCD adding extra resistance to the reading.
This is due to the meter not being accurate at these low settings, so to do an accurate result, a high current test should be done, which is not possible without bypassing the RCD, which adds more complications, so, overall, it is far better to do a proper R1+R2 test, then adding on the Ze (which is tested at high current, so gives a more accurate result).

Have a read of GN3.
Zs may be calculated. Reg. 612.9, with a bit more on p.52 of GN3.

Why calculate Zs when it is far easier to test and gain actual values as opposed to maybe values??

If there is no power available at time of test, fine that's when you calculate....

How accurate are loop testers when using the no-trip test?
They are not accurate at all.
See above, try a Metrel, Dilog or Megger through a new MK RCD, and your measured results will be far higher than the calculated result.
This is a known fault, as the tetsers calculate the result internally, by using a very low current to take the reading. This is acknowledged in GN3, with the line " these instruments are not as accurate at low resolutions.... some maufacturers state results should be treated with caution below a half or one ohms...calculations may be necessary to cross-check test results"

So why bother at all? Yes, easy to do at socket outlets. What about fused spurs? Far harder to do safely, with the added chance of adding a fault to the installation - trapping a wire behind a screw etc.
If you've done the R1+R2, and a Ze, then there is little need to do a live Zs test, and the Regs and guidance notes specifically stating this.

How accurate are loop testers when using the no-trip test?
They are not accurate at all.
See above, try a Metrel, Dilog or Megger through a new MK RCD, and your measured results will be far higher than the calculated result.
This is a known fault, as the tetsers calculate the result internally, by using a very low current to take the reading. This is acknowledged in GN3, with the line " these instruments are not as accurate at low resolutions.... some maufacturers state results should be treated with caution below a half or one ohms...calculations may be necessary to cross-check test results"

So why bother at all? Yes, easy to do at socket outlets. What about fused spurs? Far harder to do safely, with the added chance of adding a fault to the installation - trapping a wire behind a screw etc.
If you've done the R1+R2, and a Ze, then there is little need to do a live Zs test, and the Regs and guidance notes specifically stating this.

Unlike many here we rarely conduct Zs tests using the 15mA no trip test function, and if we do we use our high resolution ELI test kits. Testing in my book is an integral and important part of being an electrician, who should know how to obtain meaningful values, not just relying on lazy no trip settings.... As for the Reg's and guidance notes on this topic, ...your welcome to them, when it comes to ''testing'' i prefer to see things done correctly....

Could you please explain how to do a live Zs test 'correctly' when there is an RCD present?

The only accurate test is an high current test, which would have to bypass the RCD. With terminals and CUs so small in domestic environments, it is not practical, or advisable, to bypass the RCD during a Periodic I&T.

Again, I come back to the UK Regs. They clearly state that a live Zs is not mandatory, so long as other tests have been done beforehand.

Could you please explain how to do a live Zs test 'correctly' when there is an RCD present?
I have to explain????

The only accurate test is an high current test, which would have to bypass the RCD. With terminals and CUs so small in domestic environments, it is not practical, or advisable, to bypass the RCD during a Periodic I&T.
That's a typical modern day response. And why is it not advisable??
Again, I come back to the UK Regs. They clearly state that a live Zs is not mandatory, so long as other tests have been done beforehand.
How accurate are your calculated values going to be then??
Look if it's unavoidable, fine calculate, if it just means a little disconnecting, then get on and conduct correct Zs/ELI testing

Exactly, .... i rest my case!! You stick to the convenient let out clauses in the Reg's/GN's/OSG, you'll probably go far!!

I'll just throw this in...
By calculating Zs from your Ze and R1+R2 measurements, you are also summing the errors, which could start to be significant at sub 1 Ohm readings.

Although GN3 says that Ze+(R1+R2) is acceptable, I also like to measure the Zs as it proves that the circuit cpc is properly connected again following the "dead tests" where the circuit has been disconnected.

Exactly. It's the first test of the completed circuit under normal working conditions and (instrument accuracy permitting) reads directly one of the most important safety parameters.
If I'm unimpressed with the readings from a no-trip test or anything is near a maximum or minimum permitted figure, I'll take the time to bypass the RCD.

E2A see method below - which also works well when circuit is optionally supplied from control devices through which the tester can't test.

Last edited:

Seriously? You don't even know the alternative Zs test method?

With the circuit isolated at the mcb:
Link L to E at the far end of the circuit
Connect the tester live probe to the incoming L of the RCD
Connect the tester E probe to the outgoing side of the appropriate MCB
Carry out the test.

This way you are testing exactly the same circuit but from a different point within the circuit.

Reply to EICR Limitation - no L to N IR Test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock