Discuss EICR Limitations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Breeze

These are my EICR limitations please can I have your opinion of these and any suggestions of any additional ones
1. As a minimum, 30% of electrical accessories will be visually inspected unless prevented( I.e. Artex ceiling)

2. Zs values inputted will be calculated except socket circuits in order to minimise live working.

3. Loft spaces will not be accessed due the the risk of workin at height unless required to access electrical equipment.

4.DNO fuse I formation not obtained, after attempting to enquire.

5. Intruder alarm system wiring not tested.

6. Central heating wiring and controls not tested however cpc verified at each point.

7. Live to neutral insulation testing omitted in order to minimise risk of damaging equipment,

8. Where a gas cooker is installed within a property the cooker circuit will be tested to the point of insulation only if access to an outlet is prevented by the appliance. This is to eradicate the need to disturb any has appliance.

9. Where a circuit supplies integrate appliance test will be undertaken to the point of isolation only to minimise/ eradicate the risk of damaging equipment.

10. Where a manual handling risk is identified, (ie large kitchen appliance) testing will be undertaken at the point of isolation or where this is not possible will be omitted and listed as an operation limitation.

11. No pat testing of items with a 13amp plug top( note cooker etc should have a minimum of r2 continuity test.

12.on an off peak supply the Zs results will be calculated using the 24h supply Ze.

13. On a circuit with a storage heater the test will be carried out at the point of isolation and r2 continuity verified at the storage heater.

These are my EICR limitations please can I have your opinion of these and any suggestions of any additional ones
1. As a minimum, 30% of electrical accessories will be visually inspected unless prevented( I.e. Artex ceiling) Why not 100%

2. Zs values inputted will be calculated except socket circuits in order to minimise live working. So you never carry out Zs testing on a new install?

3. Loft spaces will not be accessed due the the risk of workin at height unless required to access electrical equipment. Are you afraid of heights?

5. Intruder alarm system wiring not tested. Why not?

6. Central heating wiring and controls not tested however cpc verified at each point. Why not?

7. Live to neutral insulation testing omitted in order to minimise risk of damaging equipment,

8. Where a gas cooker is installed within a property the cooker circuit will be tested to the point of insulation only if access to an outlet is prevented by the appliance. This is to eradicate the need to disturb any has appliance.

9. Where a circuit supplies integrate appliance test will be undertaken to the point of isolation only to minimise/ eradicate the risk of damaging equipment.

10. Where a manual handling risk is identified, (ie large kitchen appliance) testing will be undertaken at the point of isolation or where this is not possible will be omitted and listed as an operation limitation.

11. No pat testing of items with a 13amp plug top( note cooker etc should have a minimum of r2 continuity test.

12.on an off peak supply the Zs results will be calculated using the 24h supply Ze. How can you be sure the Ze will be the same on the off peak board?

13. On a circuit with a storage heater the test will be carried out at the point of isolation and r2 continuity verified at the storage heater.

My questions in red

1. As a minimum, 30% of electrical accessories will be visually inspected unless prevented( I.e. Artex ceiling)

2. Zs values inputted will be calculated except socket circuits in order to minimise live working.

3. Loft spaces will not be accessed due the the risk of workin at height unless required to access electrical equipment.

5. Intruder alarm system wiring not tested.

6. Central heating wiring and controls not tested however cpc verified at each point.

12.on an off peak supply the Zs results will be calculated using the 24h supply Ze.

B, should # 8 read ... 'point of isolation' rather than insulation?

@ dilb. i think in item 5 he meant the elv alarm wiring which is beyond the scope of BS7671. was not made clear in OP though.

to dillb
1. We test at every point but in the case of sockets and light point we remove 30% of accessories.
2. Very clearly says EICR limitations as there shouldn't be a single limitation on a new install and the reg clearly state to live working should only be done when necessary.
3. Yes obviously very afraid of heights
5. We test to the spur only and ensure earth continuity to a metal aorta panel. But not we don't remove panel as not to open a can
of work with an old alarm which the tenant can't remember the code for.
6.we test to heating spur and cpc only from then on, this is company policy and they only allow gas engineer to touch gas appliance.
12. You can't guarentee but it is the same supply cable just maybe a different meter or even same meter if it's a new all electrical

Hope I've answer your questions dillb

to dillb
1. We test at every point but in the case of sockets and light point we remove 30% of accessories.
2. Very clearly says EICR limitations as there shouldn't be a single limitation on a new install and the reg clearly state to live working should only be done when necessary.
3. Yes obviously very afraid of heights
5. We test to the spur only and ensure earth continuity to a metal aorta panel. But not we don't remove panel as not to open a can
of work with an old alarm which the tenant can't remember the code for.
6.we test to heating spur and cpc only from then on, this is company policy and they only allow gas engineer to touch gas appliance.
12. You can't guarentee but it is the same supply cable just maybe a different meter or even same meter if it's a new all electrical

Hope I've answer your questions dillb

I believe there is a difference between "live working" and "live testing" no excuses really for not doing Zs at items other than socket outlets.

I believe there is a difference between "live working" and "live testing" no excuses really for not doing Zs at items other than socket outlets.

You have to remember Pete health and safety have been heavily involved with everything and anything they can get there hands on, also the NICEIC have agreed these and are happy that the quality of the EICR is not compromised but that's for your concern and I will raise at my next team meeting

One of the reasons we carry out a Zs test is to pass a higher current through the earth path as this will show up poor connections far better than the fraction of an amp used in the normal continuity test. This is why the no-trip loop test methods should be avoided wherever possible.

You have to remember Pete health and safety have been heavily involved with everything and anything they can get there hands on, also the NICEIC have agreed these and are happy that the quality of the EICR is not compromised but that's for your concern and I will raise at my next team meeting
Come on now, using health and safety as an excuse to whip around the house only testing ZS at sockets won't wear here, you may as well list what you intend to do rather than the limitations, you are down to half hours work looking at your opening post matey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the testing or calculating of Zs debate it all looks pretty standard to me.

DILLB to answer your question on why not 100%, you carry out sampling on condition reports, it's how your trained on the 2391 etc. You internally visually inspect a percentage of accessories, if you find issues you increase the percentage, it's industry standard.

What has the NICEIC got to do with it after all they are just one of the manyscams

Apart from the testing or calculating of Zs debate it all looks pretty standard to me.

DILLB to answer your question on why not 100%, you carry out sampling on condition reports, it's how your trained on the 2391 etc. You internally visually inspect a percentage of accessories, if you find issues you increase the percentage, it's industry standard.

.....And if there are no previous records then what?

I agree; others I think are either being tongue-in-cheek or ott in their comments.
AMD 3 expects electrical circuits and accessories (eg down lights) in lofts to be checked on EICRs unless there is a sound reason not to.
It is the case that there is increasing pressure to minimise live testing, and that along with a measured Ze, R1+R2 is used to calculate Zs. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the increasing use of RCDs/RCBOs and therefore no trip testing, the measured results are often very pessimistic.

Reply to EICR Limitations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock