Discuss EICR price work, thoughts please.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Very interested in peoples opinions on this thread title. Basically ive been sub contracting to a company who have recently won a contract to carry out EICR and any remedial works on a number of propertys local to me. Im being fed the usual lines of how much money i could make but i’ll be honest alarm bells started to ring as soon as it was suggested the work would be on a price.

Although i am keen to carry out more EICR’s i dont think it is work that should be rushed, as ultimately it will be my name going on the cert. I have found out today that the actual price per property is £40, which i think is absolutely ridiculous. I dont know if these reports will be a percentage or the whole of the installation, but regardless of that i feel i will be rushing to make my money which as ive already stated i dont like to do when i test. There is a fixed price for any remedial work that needs to be done which i believe is £15, again ridiculous IMO. What if the remedial work takes an hour??

Personaly, feel like i need to give this a wide bearth, any other thoughts/opinions much appreciated.

Don't want to sound harsh Leep82, but you said in your opening that you had just won this contract, surely you must have investigated what the requirements for carrying out these EICRs before you actually signed up for the work? At £40 per report it is hardly sufficient to do a decent report. Sorry but that's how I see the situation, but good luck anyway. I do realise work is work and you need all you can get, but with a job like this it would be in my opinion, a good one to walk away from, these scrotsare making money from genuinly decent Sparks, and should be avoided like the Black Death.

Last edited:
Don't want to sound harsh Leep82, but you said in your opening that you had just won this contract, surely you must have investigated what the requirements for carrying out these EICRs before you actually signed up for the work? At £40 per report it is hardly sufficient to do a decent report. Sorry but that's how I see the situation, but good luck anyway. I do realise work is work and you need all you can get, but with a job like this it would be in my opinion, a good one to walk away from, these scrotsare making money from genuinly decent Sparks, and should be avoided like the Black Death.
I haven't won it. The company i am currently subbing to have won it and are trying to get me to do it.

I haven't won it. The company i am currently subbing to have won it and are trying to get me to do it.
Sorry Mate I thought it was you that had won the contract, a dificult one to call, guess it's down to how much work they give you, you nee to tell them it's not viable, as it will be your neck on the line, and I'm sur the guys you work for, will shift the blame your way, should things go bobies up, your call is what I'm saying, I would walk away but it's a no win situation.

They are having a laugh... £40 for an EICR & £15 to fix anything..
Tell your company that them prices are ridiculous.
These are my thoughts. I only found out the price today. Up until now i have said i may be interested as its work i wanted to do more of and its on my doorstep. Now i know the full details i think i’ll be steering well clear. Also the price is the same regardless of the size of property!!!!

Sorry Mate I thought it was you that had won the contract, a dificult one to call, guess it's down to how much work they give you, you nee to tell them it's not viable, as it will be your neck on the line, and I'm sur the guys you work for, will shift the blame your way, should things go bobies up, your call is what I'm saying, I would walk away but it's a no win situation.
No problem, i think they are preying on people they feel might be desperate for the work but i aren't desperate enough or prepared to drop my standards.

Also the price is the same regardless of the size of property!!!!

I'd like to know how any business could justify such a statement - you might be able to scrape a living if they were all bedsits with 3 or 4 circuits and you have the keys.

Dare ask which scheme the employer is signed up with?

Last few EICRs I have done cost approx £155.00 each. The remedials will likely average out to be around £600.00 per property. And that is with reasonable pricing. £55.00 would get you knowhere.... I would 100% be cutting them loose mate.

I'd like to know how any business could justify such a statement - you might be able to scrape a living if they were all bedsits with 3 or 4 circuits and you have the keys.

Dare ask which scheme the employer is signed up with?
NICEIC badges plastered across there vans

NICEIC badges plastered across there vans

Which again seriously undermines the "statements" of the NICEIC - and before anyone shouts me down, they stand for improving standards ............................... which doing EICR's for £40 is absolutely NOT going to improve ANYTHING, least of all the companies bank balance or profitability.

A local firm to me who looks after housing association stock pays £55 per EICR so the lads have to bang out 3 a day to earn a crust...These properties are regularly maintained so not many problems apart from the odd, old broken accessory. The report is produced on an app that they've had made. Usually 6 circuits a house Up lights, down lights, up sockets, down sockets, cooker and kitchen sockets...If you base that on an 8 hour day that's 2 and quarter circuits an hour. That doesn't account for traveling, writing the results etc. £40 is taking the biscuit imo unless there is only two or three circuits per house:confused:

Reply to EICR price work, thoughts please.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock