Discuss Eicr prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jon small

-
Mentor
DIY
Reaction score
just looked on a price comparison site (whatprice.co.uk) by accident and found prices for eicr testing from around the country - couldn,t believe a sole trader in sunderland offering to test up-to 3 bed house for £65 all in ( reckons 2.5 hours to fully test and do paperwork ) and telling people that firms charging more are extortionate rip off merchants, surprised to find others charging £75 - £90 with pricing like this no wonder it's getting difficult to earn a reasonable living.

just looked on a price comparison site (whatprice.co.uk) by accident and found prices for eicr testing from around the country - couldn,t believe a sole trader in sunderland offering to test up-to 3 bed house for £65 all in ( reckons 2.5 hours to fully test and do paperwork ) and telling people that firms charging more are extortionate rip off merchants, surprised to find others charging £75 - £90 with pricing like this no wonder it's getting difficult to earn a reasonable living.

The EICR wouldn't be worth the paper its written on IMHO.

Agreed. All in all to do an average semi (incl paperwork etc ....) with a semblance of competency & professionalism is the better part of a day so the price is atleast your own day rate. But if you are only checking 1% then maybe .......

Priced doing an EICR for the local council
Civil amenity sites, theatres, offices, their was well in excess of three thousand circuits, we didn't get the contact as we were to expensive, the contractor they went with priced it at £3 a circuit

Drive by reports

Unfortunately, most EICRs are done because the customer is obliged to have it done by insurers, the council etc and they have no real interest in the results or safety; they just want a piece of paper.

Consequently, a cheap quick EICR doing 20%, or full of 'limitations' instead of a proper insulation resistance test on circuits that need a lot of things removed will win.

I get a few EICRs a month and I always feel I have to underquote to get the job.

I recently have had a few letting agents call up and ask how much i charge for an average 3 bed semi, told them £150 and got the "ok then we'll be in touch if we need you" I knew instantly i wasn't getting the job because i know some people just go and poke their nose in the CU and write up a load of ******** and charge less than half that. but recently did manage to win 4 tests for a private LL, and although he was reluctant to pay my price he agreed, and then had no trouble handing over payment when i pulled them to peices, showed him several C1's on each property, and proved it had never been properly tested before despite his previous certs which were just a waste of money. and once he saw me there for the best part of a day on each one he realised the previous lot were not doing it right.

Never had much of an issue losing work to the those who do cheap EICR's. They give it a satisfactory and need to do plenty a day (at £3 a circuit a mountain needed a day!). 1 for me is a days work plus generally all the remedial works after that and a peaceful nights sleep after it does for me.

EICR has to be taken seriously and done right or it is worthless. A 3 bed semi is at least 5 hours work and an hour writing, preparing and posting certificate etc., has to be full days pay, at around £150 , I would not do one for less, it is just not worth it. I have had several letting agents pass because they can get a cert for £65 quick check. They can keep it !!!

My local housing association put a tender out in June for EICRs and quoted the set price of £40 per property. (does not matter size of property or number of circuits). They where offering 330 houses per year mind (guaranteed) and 100 CU changes - not sure how one person could do that in 1 year mind - would have to take on a second person.

My normal rate is £20 per circuit.

For landlords I offer free PAT testing for upto 50 items - thinking that EICR is every 5 years and PAT is every year so they are likely to come back year after year.

My local housing association put a tender out in June for EICRs and quoted the set price of £40 per property. (does not matter size of property or number of circuits). They where offering 330 houses per year mind (guaranteed) and 100 CU changes - not sure how one person could do that in 1 year mind - would have to take on a second person.

My normal rate is £20 per circuit.

For landlords I offer free PAT testing for upto 50 items - thinking that EICR is every 5 years and PAT is every year so they are likely to come back year after year.

Re the EICR - so they don't want a proper test then?

Re the PAT testing - are you running a business or a charity?

Re the EICR - so they don't want a proper test then?
Not a clue!

Re the PAT testing - are you running a business or a charity?
I do this based on 50 items takes about 2hrs to do, f I do a 8 circuit property then I get £160.00 - these landlords that I do this with use me all the time for anything and everything from replacing light bulbs to CU changes and rewires.
It works well and for new landlords it has the tipping point if they use me or Job Blogs from the pub - which there are a few around here - dont forget you dont need any qualifications or registration to do EICRs

Not a clue!

I do this based on 50 items takes about 2hrs to do, f I do a 8 circuit property then I get £160.00 - these landlords that I do this with use me all the time for anything and everything from replacing light bulbs to CU changes and rewires.
It works well and for new landlords it has the tipping point if they use me or Job Blogs from the pub - which there are a few around here - dont forget you dont need any qualifications or registration to do EICRs

So its not free, its included in the EICR then??

So you pay this bloke £65 which for 2.5 hours work is a realistic hourly rate, but he is doing drive bys so what is the point.
He must be hoping to get remedials to make money, some of which he'll probably make up

They where offering 330 houses per year mind (guaranteed) and 100 CU changes

Priceless.................. absolutely priceless....doomed.....were all doomed........eey aw ! eey aw !

"couldn,t believe a sole trader in sunderland offering to test up-to 3 bed house for £65 all in "

I'm half an hour away in hartlepool and find it difficult to charge over £80 for an EICR (whether its a 2 up 2 down or a five bedroom detached house). I do tend to make things up to a worthwhile wage when I complete any remedial works- although obviously it isn't guaranteed there are any.

I recently lost work for the last letting agent I worked for as they phoned me up and said they had found an electrician who would work for £15 an hour flat rate plus itemised materials (no allowance for fuel etc?). They said they still wanted me to do the work as I had been reliable in the past, so if I matched the price it wouldn't be a problem. I said I would go no lower than £18 an hour & 40p/mile if out of town. I never heard from them again!

In the last few month the van has broken down multiple times, costing a fortune not just in repairs but in lost income, and all this month my road tax, van insurance, scheme & trustmark membership & PL/PI insurance have ran out and have to be renewed. Direct debits this year!

Reply to Eicr prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net