Discuss EICR readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joehat

Hi all

Done an EICR today and on one light circuit my zs tests was coming with error so got the 2 poor tester out, and I'm getting 50v between 230 l-n and 50v l-e

Checked all switches and light fittings Ect, nothing obvious, property 13 years old,

I've checked all downstairs and seems to be near the cu as same readings on all, so gonna find out when next their which one the 1st light is, and then test the earth after that to the other lights and I then I'll know more where the issue is.

Would you say this is either a poor connection hidden somewhere or a screw through a cable Ect , any ideas.

I did code it c2 and moved onto rcd side as that was a fix to make it safer for now, and Because I've been asked to go back and Find the problem that's why

Oh that that it's a good customer of mine and like to go the extra mile. Anyone else I would just code and go back if asked Ect ( I did get offered more money, but it's local and a good customer so an extra hour isn't the end of the world, it's give me a good rep.

Hi all

Done an EICR today and on one light circuit my zs tests was coming with error so got the 2 poor tester out, and I'm getting 50v between 230 l-n and 50v l-e

Checked all switches and light fittings Ect, nothing obvious, property 13 years old,

I've checked all downstairs and seems to be near the cu as same readings on all, so gonna find out when next their which one the 1st light is, and then test the earth after that to the other lights and I then I'll know more where the issue is.

Would you say this is either a poor connection hidden somewhere or a screw through a cable Ect , any ideas.

What did the IR test results tell you on that particular circuit??

I did code it c2 and moved onto rcd side as that was a fix to make it safer for now, and Because I've been asked to go back and Find the problem that's why

Does moving it onto an RCD make it safer? Or does it just leave you liable if any accidents do happen as you carried out work on the circuit last rather than just testing it? Don't forget an RCD only prevents a shock from becoming fatal, not from happening in the first place.

I haven't said it's safe, just safer, it took 2 minutes,
And I've noted that it's unsafe so I have made clear, that moving it isn't the solution, it just makes it safer than currently, so until fixed it improved the safety. I'm not liable in my opinion and I feel it was justified.

Hum.... not sure I would have bothered moving the circuit onto the RCD side - you may well now have made matters far worse for the client, because instead of just the MCB tripping the RCD might take out more circuits

I haven't said it's safe, just safer, it took 2 minutes,
And I've noted that it's unsafe so I have made clear, that moving it isn't the solution, it just makes it safer than currently. I'm not liable in my opinion and I feel it was justified.

Sadly the processes that are put in place after an incident don't consider whether you think you are liable or not.
I'm not having a go here, just trying to help you realise that what you think is helping out may actually be leaving yourself open to a lot of trouble.
Have a read through some of the case stories of prosecutions on the HSE website and you'll see just how easy it is to become liable despite doing what you think is a good thing. I've found it quite scary reading and thinking about some of the things I've done to 'improve a situation' in the short term.

Hi all

What ir results did you get and was r1/r2 results at every lighting point satisfactory.? Did you remove cpc ftom earth bar when testing.? And what is earthing arrangement.?

Reply to EICR readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net