Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss EICR required for Part P installations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have been told that when I join a Part P scheme I have to complete an EICR form for every installation or addition to a circuit before I can do any work on the circuit. So even putting a new socket on a bedroom circuit I have to complete an EICR form. To do that I have to have indemnity insurance as well as public liability insurance. If I don't have the indemnity insurance then I have to pay someone who is authorised to write out a EICR before I can do any work under part P schme.

I didn't know I had to do an EICR form before I can even add a socket to an exsisting circuit, or not having indemnity insurance I have to pay someone to write the EICR form.

This doesnt sound right to me?

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Where did you obtain this advice from?

PS have a read of reg 132.16

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

It is always wise to test the circuit you are working on first to identify any possible problems which may need attention/additional costs because you don't want to find them after. You would need to do a Minor Works Cert anyway.
    If changing a board it is advisable to undertake a full test for the same reasons but for single circuit alteration then no but you need to verify adequacy of earthing/bonding etc.

4. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    westward beat me to it, so what he said :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

One of the part P schemes staff.

I would always check circuits before I do any work on it and make sure it is safe to add on to it. But having indemnity insurance and filling out a EICR form even for an extra socket seems wrong to me?

6. Midwest

As said no you don't, EICR. Which Scheme by the by?

7. westward10

It is unnecessary sounds like crossed wires, ouch:)

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

You don't need to be a member of a scheme to do EICR's

9. Midwest

Perhaps you just misunderstood what they were advising, perhaps they were suggesting what Westward was suggesting?

10. westward10

Very suggestive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Midwest

Only making a suggestion :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

I did argue what they said but they wasnt having it.

I used to know the EICR as a periodic inspection form, which for example was also used for lanlord checks if I am thinking of the right form.

But if I do domestic work then I am right that I wont need to fill out a EICR form before I do any work So the advisor I spoke to gave me the wrong information.

Thank you all for the replys

13. Midwest

In a nutshell big YES. As long as you comply with reg 132.16, do your addition/alteration and complete, if appropriate Minor Works, unless its a new circuit or consumer unit change, then EIC.

14. Midwest

I'm orrfff now to make a suggestion to her indoors....................what to have for tea, or if you're a posh northerner, dinner. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Midwest

OP. Email, don't ring, you scheme and pose the question you've asked here. Just bullet proof your bum. Always find ringing them, you'll end up with some knob who gives the wrong advice. Email is so much more compelling for them, you even get reg numbers quoted. If its urgent, you can always get collective advice here.

Now where's me mushrooms and tarragon?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    OP you may find that the scheme has additional requirements above and beyond what the regs require. By becoming a member of the scheme you may have unwittingly agreed to certain conditions and that's what they are now stating.
    If you don't follow their "rules" you may void your membership.
    I've heard a similar line from Storma.

17. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Part P schemes staff, now there is a job for the boys if ever there was, part P schemes staff??????

18. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

That is odd because dont they all have to follow the same process because if its not in the regs can they just make there own rules up?

19. valleybilly

valleybilly Scuber Do

Best practice interpretations by part p operators influencing the regs as usual . These Conditions they set make them feel important so just agree .

20. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    is there such a thing? Surely you mean a posh southerner?

21. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    SO OP...Whoever told you that, you need to ask them what if it is a person with very little money who wants a socket moving say £30.00 and you say, well I will have to do an EICR, and if I find faults you may have to have them rectified which could cost you up to £3000.00 for a full rewire, or at least £200.00 for an EICR and any works on top. Do you think you will ever get the job? or any job for that matter?

22. TheCodboy

TheCodboy Regular EF Member

Stroma have suggested that you can carry out EICR's (Periodics) with Part P scheme without any Periodic Quals (C&G 2395 and the like).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  23. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

But its not cheap paying indemnity insurance when i dont need it

24. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

An advisor of a part p scheme. I agree with what you say but it seems other schemes do the same as well. I dont get it because i dont think they can just change the rules as they please.

25. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Which scheme ? And what position does this person work in, assessor or telesales staff ?

26. Jay Sparks

Jay Sparks Trusted Advisor

What scheme/scam is telling you this bull poo?

27. Jay Sparks

Too quick on the draw Andy78

28. westward10

He seems very evasive about saying I wonder why.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Take with one massive pinch of salt the advise you think you are getting from the scam provider
    Either they have moved to Mars and don't now live in the real world or the advise they have given is being interpreted wrong by yourself

Either way do what the regs suggest regards assessing additional loading,the earthing and bonding etc and most importantly make sure the price you charge is making the job worthwhile and the job you do is of a good standard

Use these schemes for the one and only beneficial service they provide "notification process" and get the requirements for installation work from the good book,try and ignore some of the stupid suggestions they are prone to make

• Like Like x 2
  30. Jay Sparks

It must be crossed wires somewhere?? Why would any scam say something like that? They may have mentioned the need for the insurance if carrying out EICR's and that's whats confused the OP??

Jay

• Like Like x 1
  31. Jay Sparks

Whilst I hole hardheartedly agree about the "notifying" thing, I have seen other members have said previously that being with a certain scam (not saying which coz I aint advertising them!), has helped them win contracts etc. Never worked like that for me but most of my clientele were more interested in the price.lol

Jay

32. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

I think your right,he seems well confused by it all

Agreed the right or wrong being Nicy approved opens doors

• Like Like x 1
  33. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

It didnt confuse me because i spoke to them for ages about this because it made no sense but they still said unless i get the indemnity insurance i cant do any work unless I get someone to do an EICR first. I will email them as someone said on here and see if they say the same in the email reply. So even adding to a circuit has to have a EICR.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Jay Sparks

Unlikely they will say the same because it will probably be a different person. Maybe the person you spoke to was new and it was them confused but certainly someone was.lol

Jay

35. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Don't mention the previous call - make the email completely new enquiry. Start afresh, be happy!

• Like Like x 1
  36. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    132.16 Additions and alterations to an installation
    No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore, the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.

GN3 does mention "it should be considered when carrying out alteration to an existing installation"
    Maybe we should collectively lobby IET regards this issue??

37. Midwest

Sorry read the first sentence, what tosh, please explain?

38. Midwest

Oh for Gods sake I'm full of Chateaubriand and fried Mars Bars. I 'phoned & emailed' my scheme (Elecsa) countless of times asking for advice, and have never been suggested/advised/contrived/twisted/persuaded/convinced, anything other than is in BS7671 or part P. EMAIL THEM AND GET CLAIFICATION. Flipping heck Maureen.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

There is no requirement to do an EICR before changing a circuit...

There is no requirement for Professional indemnity insurance when doing EICR's

There is no requirement for scheme membership to do EICR 's

Next....

• Like Like x 1
  40. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

Are Stroma also saying every job needs a part p sparky to do an EICR first or pay someone to do it if you dont have indemnity insurance?

41. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

No schemes rules are saying that. You have been misinformed.

• Like Like x 2
  42. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

I am very sure you are right but would like to know why he said stroma also want the same.

43. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

What may have been meant is that if you want Stroma to include you for EICR work on their scheme, they require a minimum amount of PI insurance from you.

For some reason you still refuse to say which person in which scheme told you all this.
    Good advice has already been given to you by others in this thread, to contact the scheme and ask for clarification of this matter in writing.

• Like Like x 4
  44. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

Andy i do agree with what everyone has said and thats why i posted the question because i didnt belive what i was told but i just wanted to know why someone said stroma wanted the same as i was told i needed. When i email i just wanted to say that no other scheme wants it and quote bs7671 and then didnt want them saying stroma want it as well.

I aint stressing just wanted to get all my facts right but maybe i am going over the top a bit over the top. Thanks to everyone who has given me good advice on here i am really grateful and sorry for dragging it on. I will let everyone know what they say when I send my email.

• Like Like x 5
  45. Midwest

You'll wake up Monday morning, and it will have been all just a horrible nightmare :)

• Like Like x 1