Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss EICR required for Part P installations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have been told that when I join a Part P scheme I have to complete an EICR form for every installation or addition to a circuit before I can do any work on the circuit. So even putting a new socket on a bedroom circuit I have to complete an EICR form. To do that I have to have indemnity insurance as well as public liability insurance. If I don't have the indemnity insurance then I have to pay someone who is authorised to write out a EICR before I can do any work under part P schme.

I didn't know I had to do an EICR form before I can even add a socket to an exsisting circuit, or not having indemnity insurance I have to pay someone to write the EICR form.

This doesnt sound right to me?

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Where did you obtain this advice from?

PS have a read of reg 132.16

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

It is always wise to test the circuit you are working on first to identify any possible problems which may need attention/additional costs because you don't want to find them after. You would need to do a Minor Works Cert anyway.
    If changing a board it is advisable to undertake a full test for the same reasons but for single circuit alteration then no but you need to verify adequacy of earthing/bonding etc.

4. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    westward beat me to it, so what he said :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

One of the part P schemes staff.

I would always check circuits before I do any work on it and make sure it is safe to add on to it. But having indemnity insurance and filling out a EICR form even for an extra socket seems wrong to me?

6. Midwest

As said no you don't, EICR. Which Scheme by the by?

7. westward10

It is unnecessary sounds like crossed wires, ouch:)

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

You don't need to be a member of a scheme to do EICR's

9. Midwest

Perhaps you just misunderstood what they were advising, perhaps they were suggesting what Westward was suggesting?

10. westward10

Very suggestive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Midwest

Only making a suggestion :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonnyRegga

JonnyRegga EF Member

I did argue what they said but they wasnt having it.

I used to know the EICR as a periodic inspection form, which for example was also used for lanlord checks if I am thinking of the right form.

But if I do domestic work then I am right that I wont need to fill out a EICR form before I do any work So the advisor I spoke to gave me the wrong information.

Thank you all for the replys

13. Midwest

In a nutshell big YES. As long as you comply with reg 132.16, do your addition/alteration and complete, if appropriate Minor Works, unless its a new circuit or consumer unit change, then EIC.

14. Midwest

I'm orrfff now to make a suggestion to her indoors....................what to have for tea, or if you're a posh northerner, dinner. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Midwest

OP. Email, don't ring, you scheme and pose the question you've asked here. Just bullet proof your bum. Always find ringing them, you'll end up with some knob who gives the wrong advice. Email is so much more compelling for them, you even get reg numbers quoted. If its urgent, you can always get collective advice here.

Now where's me mushrooms and tarragon?

• Like Like x 1