Discuss EICR Retest in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

nellyp

-
Reaction score
I carried out an EICR recently on a HMO. This raised a number of non conformances. The customer was issued with the EICR along with a quote to correct all the issues listed on the EICR.

They've now had the remedial work carried out by another spark who's not registered with any of the governing bodys.

I normally issue a MWC or EIC and a covering letter when i carry out the remedials, but in this instance the spark carrying out the work is not registered so cannot issue certs.

Am i correct in telling them i need to carry out another EICR?

Thanks for your help

The guy who carried out the remedial work should have issued a cert for this work, provided it warranted a cert that is.
What was the nature and scope of the remedial work ?

By the way, don't call the schemes governing bodies, it doesn't sit well on this forum.

Thanks for the fast response, i haven't got the EICR to hand, but one of the points was a break in the ring. The other chap has now split the ring into 2 circuits on 20A breakers.

You dont have to be registered with a scam to issue MWC's or any other certs. If the HMO is classed as a dwelling then some of the work he did may need notifying. If its not a dwelling then it doesnt fall under the part pee scope.

Jay

I would inform the customer that without evidence of testing and certification for remedial work, you cannot proceed in issuing a satisfactory EICR without extra testing at extra cost.

I've said that I need to carry out another eicr as I do not know if all the remedial work has been carried out. I just wanted to be clear about this as I don't want to look like I'm creating work for the sake of it. Thanks for all the replies.

I've said that I need to carry out another eicr as I do not know if all the remedial work has been carried out. I just wanted to be clear about this as I don't want to look like I'm creating work for the sake of it. Thanks for all the replies.

Customers need to understand that work gets created when they penny pinch and opt for Dave from the pub to do their work.

I would give the customer the opportunity to contact the other guy and request certs for the work done. You should also inform the customer of any remedials done that should have been notified to building control.

lets just cut the crap , you did inspection , someone else did remedials , end of story.
move on , no point stirring up alot of aggro when you've probably no idea that the other guy didnt issue certs or a covering letter to accompany your eicr.

As Biff says, you've issued an unsatisfactory EICR highlighting all non-compliances, your remit is fulfilled. The onus is now on the person ordering the EICR to act on it. Whether they get you or someone else to carry out remedial works is up to them to ensure any works is certified accordingly.

If the s**t hits the fan it's now their --- in the line of fire, not yours!

JMO

Why would they want another Eicr,they have had the remedials carried out,there should have been certificates to go with the work
The certificates could then be used in conjunction with the Eicr for whatever purpose they be needed

If they had no certs and want another Eicr,crack on.its work that would have been un necessary,but hey that's their problem

Why would they want another Eicr,they have had the remedials carried out,there should have been certificates to go with the work
The certificates could then be used in conjunction with the Eicr for whatever purpose they be needed

Thanks for all the replies, so the customer could just get the spark (not a member of any schemes) to issue them with a covering letter stating that he has carried out all the remedials?

Anyone can fill out the required certs - you do seem overly interested on what "someone else" has done, so much in fact my spider sense is tingling!
Thanks for all the replies, so the customer could just get the spark (not a member of any schemes) to issue them with a covering letter stating that he has carried out all the remedials?

Anyone can fill out the required certs - you do seem overly interested on what "someone else" has done, so much in fact my spider sense is tingling!

All i'm trying to do is whats best by the customer! if i haven't got to go back and and charge him for another EICR then i won't. Just wanted to clarify so that i can offer him the right advice. I did the original EICR, somebody else did the remedials, does he need another EICR? from the replies on here, the answer appears to be no.

No, he / she doesn't need another EICR unless they request it but they should have the relevant certs for the remediable work undertaken (notifiable or not)
All i'm trying to do is whats best by the customer! if i haven't got to go back and and charge him for another EICR then i won't. Just wanted to clarify so that i can offer him the right advice. I did the original EICR, somebody else did the remedials, does he need another EICR? from the replies on here, the answer appears to be no.

No, he / she doesn't need another EICR unless they request it but they should have the relevant certs for the remediable work undertaken (notifiable or not)
So some certs form the guy who did the remedials (he's not with any schemes) will suffice, and what about the remedials that dont require a cert (such as a loose back box or a cracked socket outlet), would a covering letter suffice?

My advice above was based on the assumption the customer had asked you to provide an amended satisfactory EICR on the basis of remedial work being done. If this is not the case then you don't need to do anything relating to this other guys work, or your original EICR until asked to do so.

Reply to EICR Retest in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net