Discuss eicr timescale any ideas ???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hiya lads
have the guidlines changed in the last few months or is somone at it
i currently live in a privately rented house that has just had an eicr done the db has the foillowing
cooker circuit, shower circuit, 2 x ring circuits, 2 lighting circuits, heating circuit and smoke detector circuit.
unfortunately i wasnt in when it was done but according to my wife the guy done the job in approx 40 min on his own inc paperwork. it normally takes me that just to write the paperwork how long does it normally take the rest of the guys to do the full job as he told the wife he is allocated 1.5 hrsinc traveling for each eicr
am i getting slower in my old age or does it look like there is an issue here also didnt recieve a copy of eicr so i will be requesting same
i dont have any confidence in the company used by my landlord as the gas safety cert was done at same time and again no copy of cp12 but wife told all ok no issues (if anyone interested i will give opinion on that one as well.
it might look like this is a ---- take but i value your opinions (dont take the ---- to much )

check here
Electrical safety laws for private rental properties in Scotland - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/scottish-landlords/

states a copy of the report must be left with the new or current tenant
also if i didnt do my job correctly i would get my backside kicked also if you are signing a document regarding safety you should do the job right as i think all of the guys on here would agree
also dont be a dick to somones wife when he knows the job (dont try to pull the wool over my eyes)

the landlords gas safety cert was just as bad nothing noted
1, no gas tightness test carried out (dab of tipex on test point as previous experience of this company) never touched
2, flue has a hole in the external tube due to corrosion (he never checked flue condition or position regulation 26.9)
3, the cover was never removed from the boiler to check integrity of components or combustion chamber again reg 26.9)
4, gas hob (fixed equipment ) connected using a cooker hose and bayonet
5, no record of boiler being serviced in past 5 years (we have never seen it serviced in the time we have been in house)
this is now in the hands of the council and gas safe
i was also a regd gas installer until 6 years ago so i have a good understanding of the requirments

I think you may need to be sure of the agreed scope of the Eicr before going to war with the landlord otherwise he can make up all sorts of reasons for the speed merchant inspection
40 mins for a full Eicr is a Superman dining on Spinach inspection
Has he confirmed to you it is a full inspection

cheers lads im not looking to go to war with the landlord but i do have an issue with this company as i believe they are not providing the service to the landlord that they are paying for. as i am no longer gas regd (dont need my own as coverd at work with company now commercial) i had one of my mates look at the gas side and he had a ball unfortunately no heating tonight as he shut of gas supply to boiler but according to the trades person that was here on monday it was ok.
my concern is that the contractor my landlord is using is not doing the inspections correctly therfor may be leading to my landlord getting in to hot water.
also can somone explain how the pat testing was done on the following
1, chimney extractor as the plug is behind the chimney part and not accessible
2, gas hob ignition system (plug behind oven)
3, built under oven (plug behind oven) oven never removed
results were on paperwork and the pat testing was done by the gas engineer not the electrician (i know it doesnt have to be the spark that does the pat testing)

i am starting to think this company are part of the empire and are using the dark side of the force when doing these inspections i am not rotten enough to name and shame on this forum and i believe it would break the forum rules but as we all know there are some good some great and some fantastic tradesman out there but there are some poor and dangerous out there as well
thanks for the replys and support lads

It's rare I do any type of EICR on domestic but the company I work for do loads. I normally find it takes between 2.5 and 3.5 Hours for a standard 2/3 bedroom house including paperwork (All on iPad as we're going) if it's an older installation takes a little longer as there may be more deviations from the current regs which need typing up. 40 minutes is takin the pee though.

No that would be on site, do the Report off site and that timescale would be determined any information gained on site but it would be another hour max.

6 to 7 hours for six circuits three of which are single point radials and another smoke techs, four hours max including Report.

So your price for an eicr on this property is 4hrsx your hourly rate??

An eicr on a house is to a certain extent an open book in determining the time it will take to complete
Your experience may give you an indication of how long but your experience will also tell you that you can be very wrong

Yes,there are many properties that can be done,not in 4 or 5 hours but in 2 or 3
a example being a housing association or council estate where the installations are repetitive,these however can throw a spanner in the works on occasion as far as time is concerned
I would never estimate any eicr as taking less than one full day for the very reasons I have stated,if it took me less time,its my good fortune,if it takes the full whack its still my good fortune

Reply to eicr timescale any ideas ???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net