Discuss EICR - Turning a blind eye in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
A while ago I did some work for the shop over the road from me.

I noticed numerous problems with the installation, including a DB taken straight from the cut out (no metering) poor terminations in both DB boards, borrowed nuetrals etc.

A few weeks ago the owner told me he had an EICR done. I was intrigued what the outcome of the EICR was and what was suggested for remedial work.

I took a look today at the report. Not one mention of the DB from the cutout. In fact only 1 thing was picked up. Insufficient bonding.

I took a sneaky peak of some of the pages to have another look when I'm home.

What can be done about a suspected bad report? The inspector is registered with NAPIT.

They’re going to be in for a very big back dated bill when their supplier finds out. Do they get any sort of bill with meter serial numbers referenced?

Yes I told him. I honestly think he was unaware (they purchased the shop a few years ago)

They have broken English but he understood and I explained he should contact his electricity supplier.

Could be the start of a bit of a mess. I attended a shop owned and run by some Kurdish fellas the other week. They too were unaware of the bypass present in their shop. They must have been otherwise they wouldn't have ordered a new smart meter :confused:
Meter fitter called the DNO who turned up and removed the bypass. I reconnected their supply for them to be promptly cut off the next day via remote and the meter changed remotely to a prepayment meter. They are now forced to run the shop on this system of payment until the investigation is complete. They have owned the shop two years, so could be a big back payment.

If you are saying the Napit contractor is remiss for not reporting this then so are you in all fairness. I'd tread carefully in pointing any fingers.

Could be the start of a bit of a mess. I attended a shop owned and run by some Kurdish fellas the other week. They too were unaware of the bypass present in their shop. They must have been otherwise they wouldn't have ordered a new smart meter :confused:
Meter fitter called the DNO who turned up and removed the bypass. I reconnected their supply for them to be promptly cut off the next day via remote and the meter changed remotely to a prepayment meter. They are now forced to run the shop on this system of payment until the investigation is complete. They have owned the shop two years, so could be a big back payment.

If you are saying the Napit contractor is remiss for not reporting this then so are you in all fairness. I'd tread carefully in pointing any fingers.

Disagree.

I told the customer what I found and advised them what to do. If I was doing an EICR I would have documented it but I wasn't, I was repairing a light fitting.

Disagree.

I told the customer what I found and advised them what to do. If I was doing an EICR I would have documented it but I wasn't, I was repairing a light fitting.

I can't really disagree or agree with you as I'm not sure of the finer points of law when it comes to aiding and abetting the abstraction of electricity. Just urging caution is all.

I can't really disagree or agree with you as I'm not sure of the finer points of law when it comes to aiding and abetting the abstraction of electricity. Just urging caution is all.

Yeh. Valid point.

I guess my overall question is, what is the actual expected responsibility of an inspector when faced with these occurrences?

Yeh. Valid point.

I guess my overall question is, what is the actual expected responsibility of an inspector when faced with these occurrences?

The inspector is responsible for correctly assessing and reporting on the overall condition of an electrical installation for its continued service. All the inspector can do is report what he found at the time he inspected and tested the installation. In the case of fraudulent activity involving bypassed metering equipment, all the inspector can do is make a note of the matter in his report and bring it to the attention of the occupant.

Reply to EICR - Turning a blind eye in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net