Discuss EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ive recently mentioned on another thread of mine that when it comes to completing EICR's my experience is limited. I have my testing and inspection qualifications but have generally only used them to verify new work that i myself have installed, all relatively easy. At the minute I am sub contracting to a local company and tomorrow have to go and carry out an EICR on a pub. I was just hoping for any advice that anybody might be able to give me. Having spoken to some of the guys who already do this sort of work for him i dont feel that i will be anywhere near there speed. This wouldnt normally worry me as i would much rather take my time and be thorough but any advice/tips that could save me time or help me out would be most welcome

just do it:)

is nothing to worry about. as You told You've made some of new testing before , so when something will look different than You are expect , just check that with a "Book of Magic" (BS7671) :)

Don't panic, sometimes looking at a DB which isn't properly marked up can over awe you. Just look at it on a circuit by circuit basis.

Do a walk round first, note any observations as you go. Take in where there are switches, sockets, any other equipment.

If you can isolate the DB as a whole and turn on the circuits one at a time then do that. It's much easier to see what's on than what's not.

You know how to test obviously, you know what complies in terms of cable sizes, ocpd and disconnection times.

You'll be grand.

Just a heads up I have found that pup wiring is not the best as generally the landloards will get one of the locals in who once watched somone change a plug and thinks hes a spark, so unless it a nice new pub, I imagine you will be finding a lot of observations , and interesting installation methods :)

I carry out EICRs in pubs on a regular basis. I find best thing to do is start Cellar and work up, in the kitchens sometimes sockets will be on their own circuits instead of RFCs. Key to speed is Global IRs and keeping mental notes of what is there and not found yet. Wiring and add ons normally to a good standard as the brewery always do the testing and fine the landlords for ---- work.

@leep82 are you on hourly rate or per circuit.? As said before pubs are usually a mare, add on after add on! Lim L-L tests and get L-E done! Zs dont R1/R2. Do you use a software for your certs or pen and paper?

Once again thanks for the replys. Im on an hourly rate not per circuit. My biggest concern is that i miss somthing. Im not sure how soon my current empmoyer thinks i can get this done, my previous employer who i worked direct to was very particular regarding testing and i like to think im pretty thorough. I dont know how big the pub is, if its occupied etc etc. Probably worrying over nothing. Quick question regarding r1 & r2 tests, been told a few different things by different people. For example just use a wander lead and test r2 or even just calculate it from my Ze/Zs readings

Once again thanks for the replys. Im on an hourly rate not per circuit. My biggest concern is that i miss somthing. Im not sure how soon my current empmoyer thinks i can get this done, my previous employer who i worked direct to was very particular regarding testing and i like to think im pretty thorough. I dont know how big the pub is, if its occupied etc etc. Probably worrying over nothing. Quick question regarding r1 & r2 tests, been told a few different things by different people. For example just use a wander lead and test r2 or even just calculate it from my Ze/Zs readings
r1 r2 and rn are end to end resistance readings of a RFC R1+R2 would be the combined resistances of a radial or lighting circuit Land cpc and the resistance of a RFC L and cpc once cross connected as per OSG GN3

Last edited:
Measuring R1+R2 is a means of calculating the maximum earth fault loop impedance of the circuit.
It also ensures that the earthing is continuous on the circuit.
The alternative to this, if the circuit has already been powered up, as it will have been on an EICR, is to confirm the earth continuity and the earth fault loop impedance by measuring Zs.

No. For an EICR, where you've already measured Zs, don't attempt to calculate R1+R2, there's no point. (It just implies that you've measured something which you haven't.)
Do you ever get the feeling you are banging your head against a concrete wall?

Right guys for those interested a little update. Really didnt enjoy today ! wasnt so much the testing, of which we only ended up having to do 20% of final circuits, but more so the filling in of the sheets. As previously mentioned my experience of EICR's is very limited. I had no issues finding the characteristics and then filling in the relevant continuation sheets. It was more the observations and then the never ending tick list. I dont know if ive missed things, given observations the wrong code, ticked items i shouldnt have etc etc. I suppose its all a learning curve, although i really feel ive been thrown in at the deep end

I feel for you.
This is a normal EICR! but made more difficult by your experience level.
It does get easier, but not less mind numbing:(
If you read the endless tick boxes and get a feel for what you are checking then as you go round you can make rough notes of anything you think is odd, then when you come to the fun of form filing refer to your notes and see if there is an appropriate section of the inspections that that observation fits. If there is no inspection that fits but you are sure it is a non compliance or safety issue relating to BS7671 then you can look up the details in reference books and still include it as an observation (possibly with a regulation reference). I tend to add these on the schedule of test results for the affected circuit.
Once you have all your details in then you can go through the report and cross reference in the observations section all the identified safety items and code them appropriately.

Reply to EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net