Discuss Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Platinum lad

Hi all need some advice when filling out test results on eicr's after carrying out live zs tests do you leave out R1 R2 column as in a lot of cases the measured reading is below ze value do you just make a note that it is a measurement and not a calculation?
any help appreciated

But how can you work out r1r2 from zs when it's not a true reading regarding service earths? If measured was below the ze what would you suggest? Thanx for response btw

Hey guys I hear what your saying but I know guys who carry out live zs tests and work out r1r2 from measured ze now I was always told zs - ze does not equate to r1r2

Well they're as deluded as the man at Megger that decided you can work it out as well and put this interesting feature on a meter (17 series, released fully tested)

The equation your looking for is Zs = Ze + (R1 + R2). You can not transpose this to work out (R1 + R2). i.e, you cant deduct the measured Ze from the measured Zs to get an (R1 + R2) measurement!!

well well well....
never ceases to amaze does it..
so some out there who are evidently teaching..in some form or another are putin it about that R1 R2 can be acheved by deducting a Ze from Zs....lol...
and i`v heard this before...

well well well....
never ceases to amaze does it..
so some out there who are evidently teaching..in some form or another are putin it about that R1 R2 can be acheved by deducting a Ze from Zs....lol...
and i`v heard this before...

I was taught to do this!! Except on TT!
Just to be clear I do not do this now!

whats the issue here...?
if you cant do cross connetions at the board (over congested)...then cross connect at a socket outlet....
or as has been said....limitation...

only need to do end to end for EICR dont need to do cross link connections as the installation has power and polarity can be checked when doing ZS.

And in fact, maybe even less than that; ultimately what is to be done is defined upfront, if it is just to do IR tests on one circuit and a Ze, then that is what will be done!! The rest isn't part of the agreement.

I was testing as a 2nd year apprentice, so it had barely been covered at college. My 'mentor' taught me to do it like that. But...what do u expect, company of at least 20 qualified electricians and maybe 2 had 2391, but hey as long as boss sat behind a desk co-signed it!!
Umm, it must have been college that taught me right, never would have passed exams otherwise. And since things have been in my own name I don't like to cut corners.

Reply to Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net