Discuss EICR's after 1st Jan 2019 .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So you are doing an EICR next year and you are inspecting a consumer unit with these 2 "makes" of RCBO's in it ...

RCBO's.jpg

So is it:

As from experience and manufacturers, direct information both the RCBO's are identical except for the printed livery on the casing so no code if it was a Hager and Wylex I would tend to say C3 improvement recommended especially if the incorrect RCBO was easily still purchasable.

The manufacturers of those two RCBOs have made a conscious attempt to differentiate them selves from each other by branding them differently.

It's not for the end user, installer or even inspector to jump to the conclusion that just because both manufacturers have used the same style of casing, which may well be made by the same manufacturer, that the product inside is exactly the same - I think I would struggle to form a decent court-worthy argument that the reg relates to the manufacturer of the casing and because they look similar the different brands can be ignored.
Substituting a product which looks similar but carries a less well known brand is almost always done for financial reasons and I think a judge or jury would be likely to pick up on that.

C3.

The manufacturers of those two RCBOs have made a conscious attempt to differentiate them selves from each other by branding them differently.

It's not for the end user, installer or even inspector to jump to the conclusion that just because both manufacturers have used the same style of casing, which may well be made by the same manufacturer, that the product inside is exactly the same - I think I would struggle to form a decent court-worthy argument that the reg relates to the manufacturer of the casing and because they look similar the different brands can be ignored.
Substituting a product which looks similar but carries a less well known brand is almost always done for financial reasons and I think a judge or jury would be likely to pick up on that.

C3.
Same manufacturer in the op picture but I agree with your comments regarding different brands used

I've given you a disagreed because I don't think I've ever seen an EICR where different OEM parts have even been commented on , let alone coded
I report on them all the time.
I had a Hager rcbo stuffed into a 3 phase dorman Smith DB which did not line up on the bus bar properly so it was coded.

^^ er and your comment is?:)
I don't have one I did have one, but thought better of it and pressed the button, does that answer your questions, Murdoch and Anthonybragg and to add I couldn't really give a ---- about top poster, so that remark was uncalled for.

Reply to EICR's after 1st Jan 2019 .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net