Discuss EICR's on buildings with multiple consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just been asked to do an EICR on a fairly large commercial building, up until now my experience of EICR's has been on domestic buildings so need a bit of advice on how to do the certificate please!!

The main distribution board is a 3 phase board which then feeds 8 consumer units throughout the building, 2 of these consumer units then feed another 2 smaller consumer units.

I have been looking at the NIC software and I can't work out how to set this up without having to do a separate EICR for each individual consumer unit.

Can anyone give me some advice on the set up of the certificate?

Cheers

I have just been asked to do an EICR on a fairly large commercial building, up until now my experience of EICR's has been on domestic buildings so need a bit of advice on how to do the certificate please!!

The main distribution board is a 3 phase board which then feeds 8 consumer units throughout the building, 2 of these consumer units then feed another 2 smaller consumer units.

I have been looking at the NIC software and I can't work out how to set this up without having to do a separate EICR for each individual consumer unit.

Can anyone give me some advice on the set up of the certificate?

Cheers
An EICR for the Sub Mains, and then 1 for each DB would be my guess, and don't forget to check the bonding

Does the programme allow you to add a page? I mostly do larger EICR and have the first distribution details/results page with the main DB or section board and then add pages as required for the sub DBs. So I’m only using one certificate for the whole installation.

Not used the NICEIC system, but for NAPITs software you just specify how many DBs there are and you get a whole new block of pages (schedule of inspections, scheduled of test results typically for each DB), with another section for distribution and the installation as a whole.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't that facility in the NICEIC solution.

This subject has not surprisingly been batted around on here before. I have done EICR all in one for around maybe a hundred DB. It was pointed out to me that it is best for an EICR on each one. I think I accept that there are definitely merits to this approach. It avoids confusion and looking through a few hundred pages to find a particular circuit arrangement later on. Or a particular DB. So in conclusion I would hazard and individual EICR for each DB.

Are you using theNIC Clik software? If so you can add extra DBs as required on the circuit details sheet.

Cheers..worked out how to do it on the software now..you have to choose the option of creating a 3 phase board, this then lets you change the phases into a consumer unit..which then lets you create circuits on them..then you have to create a board on the individual circuits!! Easy!! (not)

This subject has not surprisingly been batted around on here before. I have done EICR all in one for around maybe a hundred DB. It was pointed out to me that it is best for an EICR on each one. I think I accept that there are definitely merits to this approach. It avoids confusion and looking through a few hundred pages to find a particular circuit arrangement later on. Or a particular DB. So in conclusion I would hazard and individual EICR for each DB.
If it’s one installation and one incoming supply then a full eicr for every consumer unit in the installation is rather pointless as you would have multiple front sheets, schedule of inspections for the same installation.
All that you need are multiple schedules of test results for each consumer unit, which are properly identified in ascending order.

I have just started a 650-700 circuit periodic and there will be one Report with the Coded part sectioned to different areas of the site and the schedules in order with the Coded parts. These pics show a busbar which is apparently redundant, not and it is highly likely those deterioated cables in the second pic are live:eek:20180109_122346.jpg 20180109_122710.jpg

This is other end and inside one of the switch-fuses which I would date to mid 1950s and they still operate as smooth as you like.View attachment 40176 View attachment 40180

Are you able to say publicly what the building is used for? I'm just curious as the labels make me think shop or abattoir (footwear I can make work in my tiny mind for an abattoir but I'm not sure about footwear lift :) ). I guess I'm curious as to how it could get into that state and what the place is used for may help with some ideas.

I do quite a lot of large condition reports.
I do exactly what the others mention, one EICR complete with schedule of inspections then as many continuation (schedule of test sheets) as there are distribution boards.

Its up to you how you choose to list it but personally If I have say a 3 phase supply coming into a 400amp switch then to a Busbar which feeds mutiple fused switches which in turn each feed a distribution board then I might tend to relable the boards so they make logical sense,
quite often I would do a test schedule for the busbar as well, I'd list the cable size/ and phase but just omit the results. Although it' not necessary I personally think it makes it easier to read in the future, with the early Amtech software you had to do this as it created a distribution board spider chart.

My labling would usualy be something simple like this.

Main Switch.
Busbar.
SF1 - supplying- DB1 - supplying a submain - DB1A
SF2. -etc-etc

Reasons being if you pick up the maintenance afterwoods, it makes it alot easier for you.

I was told at a ECA meeting once by a board member from the IET that strictly from a City and Guilds exam point of view that each set of distribution board test results should have a separate schedule of inspections. Personally I don't know anyone who does this, however if the condition report was carried out on a large Residential school then I would probably do separate Schedule of Inspections sheets for distribution boards that maybe supply wet rooms.
I would only do a separate EICR if there was a seperate incoming supply.

Last edited:
Are you able to say publicly what the building is used for? I'm just curious as the labels make me think shop or abattoir (footwear I can make work in my tiny mind for an abattoir but I'm not sure about footwear lift :) ). I guess I'm curious as to how it could get into that state and what the place is used for may help with some ideas.
Bang on SC it is a 1950s department store which closed last year although two floors of offices are still in use. It is a fascinating place and the architecture inside is fantastic but the huge sales areas are empty and like a big ghost ship. I have been told it was a slaughterhouse originally and was built in 1903 and became a shop in the 1950s, bit like Grace Brothers. The footwear lift is ancient and is long redundant but it is all complete and only goes between two floors.

Bang on SC it is a 1950s department store which closed last year although two floors of offices are still in use. It is a fascinating place and the architecture inside is fantastic but the huge sales areas are empty and like a big ghost ship. I have been told it was a slaughterhouse originally and was built in 1903 and became a shop in the 1950s, bit like Grace Brothers.

Thanks for that.. they certainly don't build them like they used to. Sadly too many old buildings that had real character are no more :(

The big problem with some of that lovely old switchgear is access to live parts without the use of a tool. Always hate coding something that has been operating perfectly for half a century or more.

Reply to EICR's on buildings with multiple consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net