Discuss EICRs ZXZCZXZCZXZCZXZC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A point of interest really, not having done that many EICRs and the few that I have done did not come with any problems.
After reading about "how should I code this that or the other" got me thinking.
Where I worked we were given written permission to disconnect any dodgy installs we found at overseas locations.
Got me wondering, if a Sparky is doing an EICR and his / her finding leave them in very little doubt that the installation is unsafe, what action, other than telling the client the bad news should / can be taken by the Electrician doing the testing?

Immediate action will be necessary after informing the client and in any event (presuming C1)must be made safe before leaving the place of work. Agreement with the person ordering the work being so informed as to the course of action to be made safe. Making safe before leaving site is a requirement under the EAWR. There are "dangerous condition" forms used to inform/record the problem which are somtimes used to notify the person ordering the work. EICR cannot continue until the matter is resolved.

Depends on the level of danger present. Exposed conductors easily reached, DB about to catch fire etc then I would isolate and immediately inform the customer.

Anything less than that then I would inform the customer accordingly and advise them on how to proceed.

Immediate action will be necessary after informing the client and in any event (presuming C1)must be made safe before leaving the place of work. Agreement with the person ordering the work being so informed as to the course of action to be made safe. Making safe before leaving site is a requirement under the EAWR. There are "dangerous condition" forms used to inform/record the problem which are somtimes used to notify the person ordering the work. EICR cannot continue until the matter is resolved.
Thanks Vorty

Depends on the level of danger present. Exposed conductors easily reached, DB about to catch fire etc then I would isolate and immediately inform the customer.

Anything less than that then I would inform the customer accordingly and advise them on how to proceed.
Thanks Strima

The situation with EICR's and coding is nothing short of a farce.

The best practice guide no 4 is the closest thing that anyone, spark out end user has as a point of reference.

For me the BPG is my reference, and that's because end users can read and understand it.

Just saying

The best practice guide no 4 is the closest thing that anyone, spark out end user has as a point of reference.

For me the BPG is my reference, and that's because end users can read and understand it.

Just saying
I like the idea of sparking out the end user, solves a lot of problems. :D

Just saying
Thanks

A lot of it boils down to the inspectors judgement as well.

I've seen C2's given for lack of labelling but no mention of damaged basic insulation showing conductor.

A lot of it boils down to the inspectors judgement as well.

I've seen C2's given for lack of labelling but no mention of damaged basic insulation showing conductor.
I was thinking more along the lines of it being so blatantly dangerous, I have an answer but thanks again for your input

This is where the Coding definitions don't allow an option for requires improvement like the old Category system. C3 to me is wishy washy with its improvement recommended.

what action, other than telling the client the bad news should / can be taken by the Electrician doing the testing?

If we are talking about imposing a action after finding what we consider a dangerous installation,I would say we have no authority or legal compulsion to do anything at all

I believe Plumbers can disconnect a dangerous gas system,however, we have no authority at all, other than that which the client places upon us

what action, other than telling the client the bad news should / can be taken by the Electrician doing the testing?

If we are talking about imposing a action after finding what we consider a dangerous installation,I would say we have no authority or legal compulsion to do anything at all

I believe Plumbers can disconnect a dangerous gas system,however, we have no authority at all, other than that which the client places upon us
Thanks Des

Agree Des. No authority to take action to remedy. I haven't been in this situation but it seems sensible to stop work, inform and create a barrier etc. If it was overheating with fire risk then I would inform, isolate and put tin hat on :)

Agree Des. No authority to take action to remedy. I haven't been in this situation but it seems sensible to stop work, inform and create a barrier etc. If it was overheating with fire risk then I would inform, isolate and put tin hat on :)
I had cause to switch of one or two offices in Embassies in various place, Boss man was no a happy bunnie

A few years back on our annual oil boiler service the fella said he would have to isolate because the chimney was blocked by a birds nest, fair enough he switched off the spur and gave me a notice. When he was gone I switched it back on, did get the chimney cleared though.

Reply to EICRs ZXZCZXZCZXZCZXZC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net