Discuss eldaly custumer with a very old installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lemmor

Hi all,

i hope someone is able to give some advice or thoughts on this subject, i have come across a request to install a double socket within a very old property. the owner is over 90 years of age and needs this outlet for a security system as dementia is setting in. the installation is over 30 to 40 years of age without any rcd protection green sleeve earthing conductors and rewirable fuses. also there is no bonding present to either water or gas incomer. the owner is not happy about any of ther work to be carried out, does not want an upgrade of any kind and is unwilling to any change.

how can i go about this installation and the request by the owner? also how would you go about the paperwork minor works certificate and zs with rewire fuses.

thanks for all your thoughts, help and advice

short answer is you can't do it. that's like asking for an MOT on a car with no brakes. walk away. an extra socket's only a little earner anyway.

The equipotential bonding you have to do - what you charge for it is up to you.

The double socket - install an RCD version.

Rewirable fuses - no problem, Table 41.2 (c) gives you max Zs values.

I would recommend asking if there is a carer or somebody else you can discuss the general condition of the installation with, with a view to a safety check (EICR), maybe paid for by a 3rd party.

The equipotential bonding you have to do - what you charge for it is up to you.

The double socket - install an RCD version.

Rewirable fuses - no problem, Table 41.2 (c) gives you max Zs values.

I would recommend asking if there is a carer or somebody else you can discuss the general condition of the installation with, with a view to a safety check (EICR), maybe paid for by a 3rd party.

I agree , if the customer is unable to pay for the update get the social services involved. This may be a life preserving install.

If the socket is for a specific purpose, there is no requirement for RCD protection.
The earthing and bonding must be adequate for the safety measure applied to the addition.

I would have thought RCD protection for the whole house for someone with dementia would be an absolute as from the incidents i have come across , the house electrics and gas is going to get some serious testing as the 90 old owner tries to remember how to make a cup of tea or fry a bacon sandwich. As its a very old building i would check the gas devices just to ensure they cannot be switch on pumping gas without a flame detector.
Serious issues here for the 90 year old and the neighbours.
Got to stick with the safe options or would not touch it.

Oh almost forgot, i made a number of changes to the electrics to ensure an old dear could remain safe, including making sure she was not left in the dark if RCDs did trip. Needs thinking through really, i fitted several RCDs but left the control box off RCD protection and moved lights and sockets around to keep the kitchen isolated from other ccts(its where the dangerous stuff happens)

Last edited:
I was commissioned by her daughter, as she was fed up with calls from the security company as the power kept going off for numerous and various reasons.
No surprise that the 90 year old does not want changes and people in her house, i did it whilst she was out on a hospital visit.
There must be a relative with power of attorney sooner or later

As Durham says, Make a long extension leed in flex clipped along the skirting board.

This whilst not looking great complies with all regulations and solves the customers problems.

Reply to eldaly custumer with a very old installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net