Discuss Eleccy work favors for brother requiring certs??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I sence I may get some abuse for this but here goes...

I tried starting up self employed as an electrician a few years ago but basically the phone never rang, so after a slight gap I ended up on the books with an FM firm covering MoD sites etc as a spark, I negociated a good salary/perks etc so I stayed put up to now, also because of this I am not with a governing body like NICEIC/Napit etc.

Despite this, my brother (general builder) still keeps electing me for small electrical itty bitty jobs on his customer jobs which I do out of ours from my day job for beer money i.e change a socket to chrome, move a light switch/socket or convert a pendant to downlights etc, although the work stream is generally infrequant, I do not mind doing them.

But much more recently he has been trying to rope me in some bigger works like extension jobs, new builds etc that require new installs and certificates for building control etc.

I find it hard to say no to my brother especially that I/we do not know of any local electricians between us to pass them on to - rural area.

On such jobs if I where to provide a Installation or Minor works certificate (depending on job), copy of MFT calibration certificate and my trade competancies, is there any way of me doing the job and notifying building control myself, or is it a big fat no no?

I know it is best to be a part of a trade governing body but in my part time situation, being a member would not be financially or practically viable, because these type of works are like I said; infrequant, and any chance of earning extra dosh is always a big bonus.

Let us know your views on this please.

Many thanks in advance.

Jamie

If your Brother has his own building business, get him to become registered and he can do all the required paperwork etc.

My competancies are: Tech Level 3, 17th edition amentment 3 and 2394/3395 - sorry I forgot to put these in original post.

new builds and extensions, where building control is already involveddue to the actual building, as long as you can show BC your quals.and proof of PL insurance, they generally accept a copy of you EIC without you being in a scheme. as work picks up, then it's adviable to join 1 of these scams for around a tenner a week subs. ( for non-notifiabe jobs, this is irrelevant, as BC don'tneed to be involved. )

if OP is going full self-employed, he'll do work for himself and maybe other builders, so better for him to join. ( IMO)

It seems that you have got to the stage where you or your brothers firm will have to join a scheme not sure if you can incorporate it into the building/construction notification.

A bit of a confusing area for me. I do work on extensions for a builder and he says the building inspector just wants my certs or he wont pass the building works. I say well my work is automatically notified through my scheme so he shouldn't be concerning himself with the electrical work. But builder insists that's what BC have asked for! Not quite sure about that. I asked to speak with the guy but it seems that is "difficult" so I am a bit non-plussed about where that all stands.

new builds and extensions, where building control is already involveddue to the actual building, as long as you can show BC your quals.and proof of PL insurance, they generally accept a copy of you EIC without you being in a scheme. as work picks up, then it's adviable to join 1 of these scams for around a tenner a week subs. ( for non-notifiabe jobs, this is irrelevant, as BC don'tneed to be involved. )
That's a good point that is Tel! Quite a bit of notifiable work I do is for a builder who will invariably have building control already involved, and I was going to go down the same route, especially if I can't be arsed with all this 18th rubbish come next renewal date.

A bit of a confusing area for me. I do work on extensions for a builder and he says the building inspector just wants my certs or he wont pass the building works. I say well my work is automatically notified through my scheme so he shouldn't be concerning himself with the electrical work. But builder insists that's what BC have asked for! Not quite sure about that. I asked to speak with the guy but it seems that is "difficult" so I am a bit non-plussed about where that all stands.

Can't comment on paid work I've done, but with my BC, they wanted copies of certificates for electrical & gas work, when I had my extension done. They said they would then issue the completion certificate.

OP, the suggestion of contacting your LBC to see if they would accept you as a competent sparks may work, I've read here other sparks doing such. Of course if your brothers client base falls within more than one LBC, joining a scheme might be the best suggestion.

I agree with Murdoch about the tax thing. When I started self employment, my accountant advised against cash work. He gave an instance (no reason to doubt him :rolleyes: ) of HMRC going to wholesalers etc, gathering lists of companies purchasing materials, and checking their database to see if these people were declaring. Your will also have your name on certificates etc. Whilst 'we' all do a little cash, not me of course, there's always a paper trail somehow. Your brother can register in the CIS scheme, and pay you tax deducted, if this is going to become more of a going concern. Make sure your covered by your brothers public liability insurance, or get your own. Another lead for the tax man.

That's a good point that is Tel! Quite a bit of notifiable work I do is for a builder who will invariably have building control already involved, and I was going to go down the same route, especially if I can't be arsed with all this 18th rubbish come next renewal date.

I've been thinking about this predicament, since pulling the plug on my business & a scheme.

Hoping to do the occasional job. However, an electrical certificate will eventually require a signature confirming it's been done to the 18th. So guess that will require some sort of formal qualification?

True, but it only means the person completing it is conversant with the regulations. as we all know the exam is just about being able to find things in a book, it does not mean the person doing so can use that information correctly in a real life situation. I just object to having to shell out another load of $$$ when I am only doing a relatively few jobs now, most of which, as I say, already have a BC notice for them. I am going to have a word with the local BC manager on Monday and see what he says about it.

Reply to Eleccy work favors for brother requiring certs??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock