Discuss ELECSA pass or fail. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

ste_miller21

hi, ive just booked an elecsa assessment (well yesterday) and now im waiting for a date. ive been planning to do this for the last 18 month.... ive been thinking for ages it'll be ok, ill be fine but now ive paid im pooing myself i've convinced myself i dont know what im doing and a load of what ifs. and with been unemployed at the moment and been right before xmas i think ÂŁ480 on something im un sure about have i done the right thing.

hi, ive just booked an elecsa assessment (well yesterday) and now im waiting for a date. ive been planning to do this for the last 18 month.... ive been thinking for ages it'll be ok, ill be fine but now ive paid im pooing myself i've convinced myself i dont know what im doing and a load of what ifs. and with been unemployed at the moment and been right before xmas i think ÂŁ480 on something im un sure about have i done the right thing.

Right Ste,

Firstly stop cacking it. if you have applied then you already know that you are experienced etc enough.
I was with elecsa for 6 years and only left because of a change in direction.
Do you have the required test kit? and is it calibrated? do you have the Big green book, on site guide,? do you have liability insurance? are you fairly competent testing (not an expert)? are you human and do you make mistakes?

if you can answer Yes to all of the above, then you will have no problems at all Elecsa are there to help and advise you, i always got pulled on every annual surveillance visit with some minor deviation or whatever. If you can work safely then that is an end to it.

The assessors are all Electricians, who have been there and done it, got the T shirt, and bent the rules just like me.

So chill and have a beer.

Cheers.............Howard

If you know your stuff you will be fine! We have just had the assessment 4 weeks ago but paid a consultant (ex NICEIC) to go through the job with us first. As it's your first assessment you will be asked questions on part L of Building regs so make sure you know about depths of chases and holes through joists etc. Likely to ask about energy conservation methods such as movement sensors etc. All in the book- Electricians Guide to part L- don't need to remember everything, just where to find it!

well if you have just booked then i would say yes you will need the BGB as it wont be till jan at least that you are actually assessed so i would have thought your assessment will go by the current regs which will of course be the 17th (1st)......

I dont currently have the BGB only the red regs book. I'll have to ask Elecsa about it. i was under the impression that the green regs was updates which should be available to download. i currently have my own tester and calibration, i'm about to take out PLI.

Yep well i am going to be applying for registration (elecsa i think) before the end of the year so.......be a CU change at my mothers house ....its an old BS3036 at the mo....so will look at either a split load or RCBOs....we`l see.....need a bit of tidying up n all in the Kitchen and i will have to check for the borrowed neutral here n all........nowt fancy just enough for em to assess.......been told by a few now in here that its a bit of an anticlimax.......seems a lot of em are more interested in what biccys you have put out for em and football results...birds n stuff....the usual things......so like Howard says....just relax and have a beer......should be ok..............

I bought a ÂŁ50 10way duel RCD with brakers from B&Q its a cheap one but it does the job and it doesnt look two bad. ive also got a bathroom extractor to show for assessment (AS A BACK UP) and minor works im just going to add 3 sockets to the existing ring...

hopefully i should hear from Elecsa tomorrow about a date. (only booked it on the 12/11/11) if its any help ill post the assessment date on here so you can judge the waiting time?

I bought a ÂŁ50 10way duel RCD with brakers from B&Q its a cheap one but it does the job and it doesnt look two bad. ive also got a bathroom extractor to show for assessment (AS A BACK UP) and minor works im just going to add 3 sockets to the existing ring...

hopefully i should hear from Elecsa tomorrow about a date. (only booked it on the 12/11/11) if its any help ill post the assessment date on here so you can judge the waiting time?
Yeah ...that would be useful mate....you know that with elecsa you dont have to notify this assessment work with the LABC dont you.........you just notify it through them when on the scheme.......unlike the NIC of course........

just dragged out a pat tester what i got about a year ago........had been decommisioned so they had taken the power cable off and removed the 2 earth bond cables n all.......replaced the power cable and put a new fast acting glass fuse in it and used some 1.5mm 3 core flex for the 2 earth bond leads....just parralleled up the 3 cores at both ends and stuck a couple of battery clips on them that i had lying around........tests good so thats up and running ok.....will get it callibrated soon and that can go in the bosses van ......for now anyway.......

Yeah ...that would be useful mate....you know that with elecsa you dont have to notify this assessment work with the LABC dont you.........you just notify it through them when on the scheme.......unlike the NIC of course........

Are you sure about that? Shouldn't make any difference who you register with, as long as you register it within 30 days.

Are you sure about that? Shouldn't make any difference who you register with, as long as you register it within 30 days.
as far as i know this is correct yellow but i plan to ring up the part p providers (all of em) tomorrow anyway as someone rang on my behalf the other week so i want the lowdown of em all myself....will be asking questions like what you have just mentioned yellow just to be sure and also what EXACTLY they will offer for my cash....and if it still is to change in january or whether this has been put back (as i heard it was on here the other day) so will post anything i find out on all this.....

if it is within 30 days then i will just wait about for a week before the assessment then just do the work and when they come round and have a nosy at what has been done then go away again and say yep he`s ok then i will notify it......not paying robbin ba$tard LABC...if i can help it......they can spin on it for a while...lol........

Ive not got a date for the Elecsa assessment: My assessment is on 23/12/11 @9:30 with a guy called Gary Stevens I was offered another date which would have been 18/11/11 (this friday) but that would be a bit quick: the guy from elecsa said that those two dates are the last appointments available this year.

Get everything ready including the BGB's and yes you'll be anxious but they are there to be constructive.

You'll need to create your own copies of the health and safety assessment and complaints register - using excel this shouldn't take too long.

Good luck

its hard not to worry for me. if you take the following into account:
*unemployed
*in debt
*no money to spend on kids at xmass
* if fail ive spent ÂŁ480 on something i failed that could have gone on kids

to be honest im worried that ive forgot everything that we went through at college.

Reply to ELECSA pass or fail. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net