Discuss Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like there is some sort of catenary wire, but kie the others not 3.5m obove ground, if you don't mind them burying the cable then suggest that to them.

There are 3 flats and we are all freeholders of each property (old converted house). The lease doesn't detail - just says all responsible to maintain cables etc for our property. However it has been implemented across my private garden.

The flat upstairs has a garden behind mine reached by a walkway at the side of the building so this is the most direct route to run a cable, however it could be run from the side of the house and along their private path into their garden.

Big thanks for everyone for their advice :))

Do think you need to seek legal advice, we can only offer advice on the installation. From experience, one question, you might get asked is who granted permission for the original installation. Any access required by yourself or neighbours to carry out maintenance on respective properties has to be declared in conveyancing and/or title deeds.

Ask your neighbour for a copy of the Electrical Installation Certificate, EIC, that will make his bum go sixpence, shilling, half a crown, cus pound to a pinch of the brown stuff he aint got one and as it crosses your land?????? it could cause you harm if it fell down and injured someone, then the brown stuff would be doing aerobatics.

Steel catenary wire onto a wooden shed? Not very secure. Never mind the electricity, permissions and lack of height.
One day the fixing of the cat wire will come free of the wood.
What have they got in there anyway? Just a light I bet.
The neighbours will be ignorant of any regulations, and its just polite to ask permission first.
Sounds like the 'electrician' is ignorant of the regs too.

o
Its about 7 meters in length from where it leaves the building to the shed. There was an old cable there before that ran across my path (un armoured) and pre-dated me moving in which I asked them to get looked at as a hazard dangling inches above my head, but now this has been put in without my consent.

View attachment 42256

View attachment 42257

View attachment 42258

View attachment 42259
Your neighbour sounds like a bit of a dork, me I would stick it to him big time, make him sweat, what an idiot to think he could get away with doing that, take him to task Paula, good job I aint in the vicinity, old as I am.

So I gave them access to the garden for someone to come and have a look at the issue, but they went ahead the same day and had the work done without consulting me as to what they were going to do.

Quick Q: Does anyone know if outside electric work like this needs to be notified and tested by a qualified person?

Its a good point about the fact that there was already a cable there before I or the people upstairs moved in. It had been there 7 years and I though nothing much of it apart until someone pointed out to me that if it's live it needs to be insulated. surely if someone previously had granted access across my property it should be detailed in updated deeds?

I will also for a copy of the electrical installation Certificate. Just waiting to see what they reply with first.

It's just a cable going into the shed for a light.

So I gave them access to the garden for someone to come and have a look at the issue, but they went ahead the same day and had the work done without consulting me as to what they were going to do.

Quick Q: Does anyone know if outside electric work like this needs to be notified and tested by a qualified person?

Its a good point about the fact that there was already a cable there before I or the people upstairs moved in. It had been there 7 years and I though nothing much of it apart until someone pointed out to me that if it's live it needs to be insulated. surely if someone previously had granted access across my property it should be detailed in updated deeds?

I will also for a copy of the electrical installation Certificate. Just waiting to see what they reply with first.

Paula, of course it needs to be tested and certified, not to up on the building control bit, others may know, but deffo tested and certified via an EIC.

Paula, of course it needs to be tested and certified, not to up on the building control bit, others may know, but deffo tested and certified via an EIC.

They would have been cheaper buying a rechargeable work light. No cables, no worries.

No decent competent spark would do that across another person's property .
The spark might not have asked who the piece of land belonged to and assumed it was his clients (having an existing cable there)... and the client wouldn't have mentioned it.
And nobody here thinks this spark is decent or competent

could always get a set of jump leads and tap in for free leccy.:D:D:D.
Now Tel, you know tapping into a SWA in mid air would not comply with BS 7671 now would it, so sttop making silly sugestions Paula may get the wrong idea of the help being offered.:tongue::) Free lecky my ---.

Now Tel, you know tapping into a SWA in mid air would not comply with BS 7671 now would it, so sttop making silly sugestions Paula may get the wrong idea of the help being offered.:tongue::) Free lecky my ---.
spoilsport. :eek:

Perhaps your neighbours thought they were doing the right thing by improving (questionable) things?

Only if the previous owners answered their solicitors questions honestly.

Can't remember, have you told your neighbours of your dissatisfaction?

Perhaps your neighbours thought they were doing the right thing by improving (questionable) things?

Only if the previous owners answered their solicitors questions honestly.

Can't remember, have you told your neighbours of your dissatisfaction?

Yes, I think they genuinely thought they were improving things. They know I am not happy about it and I have asked them to re-site it and also offered for it to be run across and down the walls and under my path. they said they would think about it but TBH its their cable and shouldn't be anywhere near my property

Did they consult you before it was installed?
I get the feeling that the neighbour is a bit of an A hole, he would have done just what he liked because he lived on the ground floor, a bully in my eyes, a bully by means of location I hate them. Come to that all forms of bullies, scum the lot of them, I was bullied at School until I sorted it my self, painful at first, but worth the effort.

Reply to Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net