Discuss Electric Cable running across Garden in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I get the feeling that the neighbour is a bit of an A hole, he would have done just what he liked because he lived on the ground floor, a bully in my eyes, a bully by means of location I hate them. Come to that all forms of bullies, scum the lot of them, I was bullied at School until I sorted it my self, painful at first, but worth the effort.
early days at secondary school, age 11,. there was one "hard case" bully in the class. a crap in his lunch box soon sorted him.

FI was on a job in Canada, one of the blokes on the team was a complete Ahole, a bully of the first order.
Picked on one of the younger Lads one evening whilst looking for somewhere to eat, found a Chinese, sat down, ordered the food and a few beers, he started again, pickng on this Lad, the red mist came up and I thumped him, left the resturant left some cash with my Mate and Fox Trot Oscared, heared no more about it, no more bullying, sorted, end of. He won't speak to me anymore, but "am I bothered" to coin a phrase from some TV show?

I get the feeling that the neighbour is a bit of an A hole, he would have done just what he liked because he lived on the ground floor, a bully in my eyes, a bully by means of location I hate them. Come to that all forms of bullies, scum the lot of them, I was bullied at School until I sorted it my self, painful at first, but worth the effort.

They are a nice couple and I believe they thought they were doing the right thing. They did however, tell me I was exaggerating when I explained it was an 'eyesore' which I found laughable as that's easy to say when it's not in your garden but I have to look at it when I'm in my garden.
Good to get some validation here that a) it is ugly and b)they cant just run cables across my land willy-nilly

Oh, I love good neighbour dispute!
Actually, they are just the worst sort of nightmare.
If you are a freeholder, surely there isn't a lease too?
Certainly not in Scotland.
If you own the ground, ie it's not communal, then no-one can put cables over it (except the statutory undertakings) without your consent. If it had been there for 10 or maybe 20 years, prescription might apply, so a wayleave established by usage which would not always show up in the title deeds. If you bought the property when the original cable was there, you may have a problem objecting now.ie objecting to there being a cable at all...however, if the new cable is substantially different from the old one, then you may have a case.
So, on electrical safety grounds, type of cable, height above ground, method of fixing/installation, you probably have grounds for asking for it to be removed or replaced in a better manner.
On legal grounds, if you own the property, the maxim ad caelo usque ad centrum would apply, and no-one has the right to obstruct your airspace.
Frankly, tell your neighbour to get a proper installation done, run it down the wall, bury it properly under the path, all at no expense to you, and if he wants a formal wayleave tell him to get his solicitor to draw it up and register it all at his expense.

If you own the ground, ie it's not communal, then no-one can put cables over it (except the statutory undertakings) without your consent. If it had been there for 10 or maybe 20 years, prescription might apply, so a wayleave established by usage which would not always show up in the title deeds. If you bought the property when the original cable was there, you may have a problem objecting now.ie objecting to there being a cable at all...however, if the new cable is substantially different from the old one, then you may have a case.
So, on electrical safety grounds, type of cable, height above ground, method of fixing/installation, you probably have grounds for asking for it to be removed or replaced in a better manner.
On legal grounds, if you own the property, the maxim ad caelo usque ad centrum would apply, and no-one has the right to obstruct your airspace.
Frankly, tell your neighbour to get a proper installation done, run it down the wall, bury it properly under the path, all at no expense to you, and if he wants a formal wayleave tell him to get his solicitor to draw it up and register it all at his expense.

Thats already been covered; get back to your San Miguel or paella or whatever you're larging up this evening on the Spanish plains.

So I see, but it takes me so long to type anything that Christmas has come and gone before I have my Easter cards stamped!
Anyway, no hassle with reaffirming what others have said, is there...?
And it's Blanc Pescador just now, and shortly I will be at the local restaurant having a massive steak and a bottle of Rioja...and just for further info, I have made a seafood paella today and filmed it, so it will be on a youtube channel near you soon!

Oh they are the best arent they? Neighbour issues :-S
Thanks, this info is really helpful
The previous cable had been there for 7 years (unknown how long beyond that) but less noticeable as grey and ran along the wall for the main part. The new cable is thick, black and runs from their flat to their shed directly across my garden and air space.
I explained to them I am happy for them to run along and down my walls and under my path (to meet them halfway) and the wayleave would be good in this instance for future, but they already spent £280 on this shoddy job so are reluctant to spend more.

Anyway, as the new cable is substantially different, and follows a different route, you are on a winner, in theory. As you have offered a sensible compromise, you can do no more as a good neighbour.
Funny how the calmest of folk will give the neighbours range Rover a two-bob coachline though...
NOT recommending that, obviously!

Anyway, as the new cable is substantially different, and follows a different route, you are on a winner, in theory. As you have offered a sensible compromise, you can do no more as a good neighbour.
Funny how the calmest of folk will give the neighbours range Rover a two-bob coachline though...
NOT recommending that, obviously!

£280 is that a lot? South East here - everyone charges a bomb! and thinks everyone is loaded just by location :eek:
thank you! thought the same and happy to compromise for the sake of peace and ease.
enjoy your steak and Rioja :)

Good to get some validation here that a) it is ugly and b)they cant just run cables across my land willy-nilly
Yes it is ugly and they have absolutely no right to access your land and/or to run the cable outside their own boundaries - these will be detailed in the deeds/plans.

You need to write them a formal letter, say that you do not want to be unpleasant, or un- neighbourly but that you have taken advice (don't say its us) and they do not have permission from you to run the cable across your property..
Request that this must be removed within a period (set a reasonable time, like 7 days). When you have written a formal letter, they have to respond in writing or act to resolve.

If they do not, then take the letter, and other eviodence etc to citizens advice, or to your local friendly solicitor. Most will provide a free half hour to advise you what your options are.

Also add to the letter that the electrician has not done it to the regs as it is below 3.5 meters from the ground.
The electrician should come back and correct his mistake for free.

£280 is that a lot? South East here - everyone charges a bomb! and thinks everyone is loaded just by location :eek:
thank you! thought the same and happy to compromise for the sake of peace and ease.
enjoy your steak and Rioja :)

Where in Surrey are you?

A few of us on here are in Surrey.

Nobody can say if £280 is a lot or not unless they know the full scope of the works undertaken.

My take on this is at first impression it is a poor install, keeping the swa square on the building then coming across to a raised post level in line with the houses dividing ridge would have been more aesthetically pleasing for everyone, I would ask for copies of certificates supplied and meet them in the middle on this, if they come back and rectify what is a poor design then you will be happy.
The problem lies if they have paid the ferryman already, paying for the work is a contractual agreement you are happy with the work done especially as the concern about the work is visual so your neighbour is now in an arkward position.
I don't feel their was any deliberate malice and clearly the fact they corrected the old cable was an effort to address your concerns.

It still looks a crap install though!

PS - comments about a breach of reg's due to the height have been voiced, the particular reg would not cover this, it is not a public route and/or are there any vehicles that will be using the route which would make it subject to a minimum height, common sense would apply for the height in this particular case.

Reply to Electric Cable running across Garden in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock