Discuss Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Isn't it dependant on how long its been there
I guess a lawyer could answer, but i think that applies to boundary features because they exclude the rightful owner.
I'm pretty sure people can get lots of money from the electric dnos where wires cross their land without permission but are not service their property. And can get them moved.
However I'll let a lawyer answer!!

I'd push for a minimum 3.5m tall permanent post on their property to keep the cable out of harm's way.

The requirement is for the MINIMUM height of the cable to be 3.5m, and for most spans, this will require the fixings to be higher than this - a cable will sag considerably in the middle of the span.
In my opinion, this should be the OP's opening gambit to address the problem. Having established that more work has to be done, they could then push for an alternative route to be considered.
Any chance that the original cable was in position before the property was split into flats?

Think you need to back that up with a reg number ....

Which part mate? There is the reg I quoted in post #10 about the min distance of 3.5 meters. Or am I misreading your post....

708.521.1.2 Overhead distribution circuits
All overhead conductors shall be insulated.
Poles and other supports for overhead wiring shall be located or protected so that they are unlikely to be damaged
by any foreseeable vehicle movement.
Overhead conductors shall be at a height above ground of not less than 6 m in all areas subject to vehicle movement
and 3.5 m in all other areas.

Hum .............. Section 708

"Electrical Installations in Caravan / Camping Parks and Similar Locations"

So not applicable to back gardens IMHO

IMHO I would say the principle applies to gardens, as there doesn't seem to be a specific reg for gardens and other locations.

IMHO I would say the principle applies to gardens, as there doesn't seem to be a specific reg for gardens and other locations.

I would disagree .............

3.5 meters is about 11' 6 " - so if you have a bungalow and a detached garage about 1 meter apart a 3.5 meter pole arrangement would look rather odd to say the least

Its a bit like the depth to bury swa cable ..................... all very open ended.

Very unsatisfactory

BS 7671 should, at the very least, offer suggestions

In respect to this thread, the height is irrelevant ......... a way-leave is required IMHO

3.5 meters is about 11' 6 " - so if you have a bungalow and a detached garage about 1 meter apart a 3.5 meter pole arrangement would look rather odd to say the least

In this circumstance you would hope that the electrician would recommend burying the cable, unless the customer insists on having an ugly pole and cable going overhead.

In this circumstance you would hope that the electrician would recommend burying the cable, unless the customer insists on having an ugly pole and cable going overhead.

In this case I would say burying it at a minimum of 600 mm is the only way forward.....

In this case I would say burying it at a minimum of 600 mm is the only way forward.....

First of all mate, I'm not getting at you in this post. It's more of an 'informative' post, cause I was curious myself.

You mention that the depth of the cable should be a min of 600mm.
I was curious where this was mentioned in the regs.

705.522. (i) - "Agricultural and Horticultural Premises" section
708.521.1.1 - "Electrical Installations in Caravan / Camping Parks and similar location" section

In 709.521.1.7 - "Marinas and Similar Locations" it does mention a depth of 0.5 m.

If I've missed one that is relevant to houses then I apologise, but I couldn't find one.

^^ the case of swa depth is absent from the big book.

My guidance is above

Of course, bob the builder would do it at 6 inches max

I think you will find that Paw Patrol is a better model to follow..
But you can't beat Mr Bull for digging.

Reply to Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net