Discuss Electric cooker removal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi sorry to bother you just need a bit of advice. Do i need to get an electrician to take out an electric Cooker? Or am I able to do it my self. My ex landlady is wanting to cooker removed we left and wants us to pay to get it removed. My husband is quite capable of taking it out himself but she has been told it has to be done by a qualified electrician. Is this the case?

Hi sorry to bother you just need a bit of advice. Do i need to get an electrician to take out an electric Cooker? Or am I able to do it my self. My ex landlady is wanting to cooker removed we left and wants us to pay to get it removed. My husband is quite capable of taking it out himself but she has been told it has to be done by a qualified electrician. Is this the case?
Itake it the cooker was supplied by yourself.

isolate at the cooker isolator. if unsure turn the main switch in your consumer unit off. cooker should be connected in one of these:
Electric cooker removal {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

just remove cooker cable from the connection unit and then retighten the incoming cable terminals.

Hi yes the cooker was supplied by us. I was just wondering if there was any regulation that says it must be taken out by an electrician. She is wanting us to pay for it to be removed and she want an electrician to do it?

Hi yes the cooker was supplied by us. I was just wondering if there was any regulation that says it must be taken out by an electrician. She is wanting us to pay for it to be removed and she want an electrician to do it?
You could do as Tel suggests, no regulation as far as I am aware. Why is your Land Lady so intent on an Electrician doing the removal?

So she either let's us take it out ourselves or she lay a the full amount to the electrician?
Yes, but from what you are saying, if you opt for a Sparky doing the removal you would have to pay, if you intend doing the removal yourself, switch the power OFF at the Main Switch on the Fuse Board, DON'T rely on the individual Circuit breaker or fuse, as they will only switch the LIVE wire.

Yes, but from what you are saying, if you opt for a Sparky doing the removal you would have to pay, if you intend doing the removal yourself, switch the power OFF at the Main Switch on the Fuse Board, DON'T rely on the individual Circuit breaker or fuse, as they will only switch the LIVE wire.
We don't want an electrician my hubby vs do it safely she wants the electrician to do it not us.

If your Landlady wants to get an Electrician in to do this, that’s her choice and she should pay for it.
Your husband should just remove the cooker, that will be the end of it.

We don't want an electrician my hubby vs do it safely she wants the electrician to do it not us.
Well then you are at an impasse, don't mean to be blunt, but asking the forum for advice is one thing, but if your Land Lady is insisting that an Electrician does the removal, the you don't really have much of a choice, is she expecting you to take the cooker away as well?

Well then you are at an impasse, don't mean to be blunt, but asking the forum for advice is one thing, but if your Land Lady is insisting that an Electrician does the removal, the you don't really have much of a choice, is she expecting you to take the cooker away as well?
She wants to know if there’s a law or regulation stipulating it must be done by a qualified electrician.

That's ok I just really wanted to know that there is no law as we have already said we would do it.

Already been answered, No regulation I know of that says you need an Electrician to take the cooker out.

The Landlord in their sole discretion may decide they want an electrician for any electrical work and you will have to comply with that request. I think it is prudent of the Landlord to insist on an electrician for safety reasons. If you Husband removes it can he assure the Landlord the installation has been left safe? I would not think so personally. For the sake of £25.00 is it worth arguing about?

tell landlady that it's your cooker, you'llremove it. if she wants it checked by an electrician, tell her it's at her expense.anyway she should be having a full electrical installation inspection (EICR) done on change of tenancy.

Reply to Electric cooker removal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock