Discuss Electric Heaters Advice in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Looking for some advise I currently only have a log burner in my house for heating and wanting to invest in some electric heaters is there any that anyone can recommend, want something i can ideally set to come on/off and cost efficient?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

It takes a certain amount of electricity to generate a certain amount of heat, so in terms of running costs, one electric heater is not going to be much different to another. What you can do to reduce running costs reduce heat wastage, e.g. with double glazing, loft insulation, cavity insulation, etc.

Apart from shopping around for the cheapest electricity supplier, is gas an option? You get more heat energy per £ from gas, compared to electric.

Hi Ellie and Welcome to the Forum.
Electric heating can be quite expensive to run. A lot of folks without access to gas use oil fired heating, but that's quite expensive too. If you're thinking about a few decent sized heaters you will likely need a check of your Electrics and a possible upgrade to the wiring.

As above, heat pumps are good if you own the property as you can claim government money. They are expensive though and so electric UFH maybe a better bet than electric rads, you get a nice spread of heat all over the room and a decent output all over rather than intense heat from one heater.

Do some basic heat loss calcs and work out how much heat input you need. Happy to help with this or point you in the right direction.

If you renting and looking for cheap movable heaters then infrared heaters work well when aimed at you.

One thing to take into account is some manufacturers are telling porkies about there electric heaters saying theirs are more efficient than other makes.
They will blind you with correct science to back this up quoting thermostatic control, oil filled, inductance, radiance. They wil say there specially designed slim fancy shaped rad will circulate heat around room.

Don't be taken in.

Basically 1 kilowatt of electric will produce 1 kilowat of heat.
That's if the heater costs £600 or £60.

Fan assisted heaters do take a little more electric for the motor to blow the air around the room, but that is minimal.

Don't get conned.

Bigsparks17. Sorry I have to disagree. I've looked at the brochure and it's another company promicing brilliant efficiency and charging way to much.

This is a massive bugbear I have about these companies.

I spoke to a dimplex rep at a trade show last year and he admitted to me it was all a big con. He absolutely agreed with me regarding people being blinded with science.

A regular customers father was aproached by one of these companies and quoted £3500 for 3 rads not including fitting. I was called to quote for fitting and said I could supply and fit equal wattage rads for under £1000.

Luckily the old man hadn't signed anything yet. Needless to say he and his daughter where we'll happy.

Hi

Looking for some advise I currently only have a log burner in my house for heating and wanting to invest in some electric heaters is there any that anyone can recommend, want something i can ideally set to come on/off and cost efficient?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hello Ellie13,

Dimplex DXC30FTI 3kW Heater + Timer + Turbo Fan - https://www.airconcentre.co.uk/products/Heaters+and+Radiators/Portable+Convector+Heaters/Dimplex+DXC30FTI+3kW+Heater+%2B+Timer+%2B+Turbo+Fan/4264928793

I wonder whether these Dimplex Electric Fan Convector Heaters Model DXC30FTI are suitable for what You want - they are 3KW maximum output [2 heat settings] - `Turbo Fan` - Thermostatically controlled and have a 24 hour manual timer built in so that you can set quite a few On / Off periods but the times would be the same for each day.

N.B: these Heaters are NOT suitable for Bathrooms.

There is a `Manual over-ride` to enable you to either turn the Heater On or Off
whenever you like irrespective of the Timer settings.

The average price is probably between £80.00 and £85.00 depending on where they are bought.

They can be freestanding / moveable or wall mounted and just need to be plugged in to an Electrical socket.

I have a couple of the previous model of these - just a slightly different case design - that I bought for a period when I was doing some work at my Home which involved disconnecting my Boiler so I had no Central Heating for a while - they will heat up a 4 metre x 4 metre room quite quickly even on Cold days / nights if positioned centrally and the Thermostatic control does operate well.

I hope that I have attached a PDF of the Installation & Operating Instructions.

I thought that these Heaters might be suitable for your requirements ?

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• DIMPLEX FANNED CONVECTOR HEATERS INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Bigsparks17. Sorry I have to disagree. I've looked at the brochure and it's another company promicing brilliant efficiency and charging way to much.

This is a massive bugbear I have about these companies.

I spoke to a dimplex rep at a trade show last year and he admitted to me it was all a big con. He absolutely agreed with me regarding people being blinded with science.

A regular customers father was aproached by one of these companies and quoted £3500 for 3 rads not including fitting. I was called to quote for fitting and said I could supply and fit equal wattage rads for under £1000.

Luckily the old man hadn't signed anything yet. Needless to say he and his daughter where we'll happy.

So what heaters did you fit?

Hello again Ellie13,

Further to my previous message above this here is what seems to be the latest model / the `40 Series` of the Dimplex Fanned Convector Heater with the same facilities / specification regarding Thermostatic control - 2 Heat settings [3kKW max] - 24 Hour Timer etc. showing on the Dimplex website:

40 Series 3kW Convector heater with Turbo Fan and Timer | Dimplex - https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/40-series-3kw-convector-heater-turbo-fan-and-timer

This has a Digital Timer - the other model that I posted the link to in my previous message had a `Manual Timer` which has a segmented 24 hour circular timeswitch that you have to push in segments to set time periods - as shown in the PDF of the Operating Instructions etc. that I attached.

Both models of Dimplex Heaters have a `Thermal Cut Out` facility to protect from overheating.

This new model of Heater is NOT wall mountable.

It is NOT suitable for use in a Bathroom.

I have attached the Installation and Operating Instructions.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• DIMPLEX 40 SERIES FANNED CONVECTOR HEATERS INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
    574 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello again Ellie13,

Further to my previous message above this here is what seems to be the latest model / the `40 Series` of the Dimplex Fanned Convector Heater with the same facilities / specification regarding Thermostatic control - 2 Heat settings [3kKW max] - 24 Hour Timer etc. showing on the Dimplex website:

40 Series 3kW Convector heater with Turbo Fan and Timer | Dimplex - https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/40-series-3kw-convector-heater-turbo-fan-and-timer

This has a Digital Timer - the other model that I posted the link to in my previous message had a `Manual Timer` which has a segmented 24 hour circular timeswitch that you have to push in segments to set time periods - as shown in the PDF of the Operating Instructions etc. that I attached.

Both models of Dimplex Heaters have a `Thermal Cut Out` facility to protect from overheating.

This new model of Heater is NOT wall mountable.

It is NOT suitable for use in a Bathroom.

I have attached the Installation and Operating Instructions.

Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris

Thank you for this I will have a look and see, I normally use my log burner to heat the house but want something that I can use on the nights I get home that it is to late to do this - these seem like they might be the right type of thing.

Thank you for your help

Ellie

Hi Chris

Thank you for this I will have a look and see, I normally use my log burner to heat the house but want something that I can use on the nights I get home that it is to late to do this - these seem like they might be the right type of thing.

Thank you for your help

Ellie

Hello Ellie - thanks for replying,

I would definitely recommend either the first Dimplex model that I included a link to in my first reply to You or the `new Dimplex 40 series` model for what you require.

The first model [in my first reply to You] can be wall mounted but the `40 series` cannot.

You can either just turn the Heater On when you get Home and unless you have a very big room to heat it will heat a room quite quickly on 3Kw + `Turbo` Fan - or you could set the Timer to turn On the Heater perhaps an hour before you get Home and come in to a warm room / or rooms if you get more than one Heater.

I hope that my suggestions have been helpful.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to Electric Heaters Advice in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock