Discuss Electric Immersion Heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Electric Immersion Heaters {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I have just moved into a new house that is all electric. The previous owner had started transitioning from Economy 8 to a new system by removing some of the storage headers and replacing them with electric radiators. Currently they have a Economy 8 meter (from SSE) and an Economy 7 water heater control panel without a timer (Horstmann one), it just runs from midnight to 7 or similar.

Like this,
https://google.com/search?q=Horstmann+E7BX&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2vLXlnLjcAhVMCMAKHe-oAk8Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1760&bih=860#imgrc=GOnJF-Hkq3-aZM:

My electrician says if I want a timer on my water heater I need to get an Economy 7 compatible version and not just a standard immersion control timer (Like a Timeguard one) as the wiring is different. I would want a timer as I want a standard tariff (not economy 7/8) and don't want to run it during the night on normal tariff energy.

My electrician wants to use the Economy 7 control panel but my power company wants to give me a smart meter. If I get smart meter should I get a Timeguard style timer or go with the Economy 7 one my electrician suggested?

Sorry for the long winded question. Thanks in advance!

You are under absolutely no obligation to have a smart meter .....

How do you heat your home?

if you are only heating water, then economy 7 is unlikely to make any financial sense ..

Hi Dave, please see the attached image. Perhaps I am misunderstanding but it says Economy 8 on the meter?

Hopefully my images are working.

Currently I have the Horstmann controller without the timer. Could I replace it with the other one I have the picture of. Just a fairly generic Timeguard one or will the wiring differ? (which may change anyway if the meter changes)

Electric Immersion Heaters WP_20180720_20_12_57_Pro - EletriciansForums.net

Electric Immersion Heaters HOR_e7bx - EletriciansForums.net

Electric Immersion Heaters s-l300 - EletriciansForums.net

If your radiators are now non storage then you need to come off an economy 7 tarriff, you could look at economy 10 and time all heaters accordingly.

Dont get a smart meter

Does your cylinder have 1 or 2 immersion elements?

If 1 get a timeguard one as pictured but it must be placed outside of the airing cupboard .... Theres a reg on fused connection units in immersion cupboards/high ambiemt temps i think (stand corrected by others on here if im wrong) but i cant remember it precicely

If 2 get a horstmann electronic 7.

Thanks Suffolk.

You are correct, there are no storage heaters remaining and it is a dual immersion cylinder. That is good to know regarding the regs, thanks for that.

What is the issues with smart meters? (I've never had one)

If you phone the power company up they will try and get you to take one meter, it will be a 'smart' meter that automatically charges you the price per unit according to time of day. gone are the days of getting two meters off them

Learning all the time lol, yes that is what is says on the tin, 3 rate with off peak times shown on meter, never seen that tariff down these parts, only standard, E7,E10.

Reply to Electric Immersion Heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock