Discuss electric oven rcd tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jme

-
Reaction score
Evening guys. Just bought a second hand full electric oven from a second hand shop and wired it in myself. Im not an electrician but i did it at college for two years and spent two years on site as a mate...

The circuit is 32a rcd protected and wired in 6mm twin and earth throughout the circuit. I wired from the circuit to the oven in 6mm twin and earth.

The site has a silly policy of not honouring a warranty unless installed by a qualified electrician and now they are asking for paperwork to prove it was done like this. As far as im concerned....you get no paperwork off a sparky for them fitting an electric cooker...as that falls into when they fit new corcuits etc.

Anyway the problem is that the hobs work but as soon as the oven is switched on the rcd will trip. Ive recorded a video of this and tezt my old electrician boss to ask him if any paperwork can be given for an installation like this??

Otherwise any ideas how to get the money back or what may be wrong on the cooker? Hobs work fine. Had all four on at once but oven trips immediately which suggests a conponent in the oven is faulty.

They admitted on the phone that they dont test these before they buy them as they are not electricians....

Surely if the hobs work then the oven should...

Any help is appreciated thankyou

Is it worth taking it off the rcd protected circuits at the board just to see if it works for now.... or just just replacing something that may be at fault such as a heating element?

My missus has a one year old girl and we just moved in somewhere. This seems very unfair

post your location. i'm sure one of us will be close to help out.

The site has a silly policy of not honouring a warranty unless installed by a qualified electrician and now they are asking for paperwork to prove it was done like this. As far as im concerned....you get no paperwork off a sparky for them fitting an electric cooker...as that falls into when they fit new circuits etc.

Just goes to show how wrong you are ................. if you want a minor works certificate for wiring up a new oven, then ask the spark when you call them .............. not after they've done the job.

All alterations on existing circuits require a minor works to be issued

An EIC is issued for a new circuit and as you are in England this would fall under Part P too.

Dn32 7lg.

I have def wired it correctly and will kick up a stink with them whether its sending her dad in to kick off or standing outside the side with a sign that warns others until i get a refund.

What law are they breaking?

Im half tempted to fix it myself if possible... as we are desperate for a working oven and its costing us a fortune without one that we dont have. They seem very dodgy

How easy is it to replace a heating element and am i right in assuming i have wired it correct in 6mm t&e (its a 7000w oven) and they will claim terms and conditions to try wriggle out i believe but i dont think no electrician gives paperwork for fitting an electric oven as they are not interferring with the circuit...there is no such paperwork not even a pat test kinda thing as its a fitted appliance

i dont think no electrician gives paperwork for fitting an electric oven as they are not changing the circuit...there is no such paperwork not even a pat test kinda thing as its a fitted appliance

Read my previous reply ................please.

A minor works cert? Ok so i just ring my old boss and get one? Because he fitted the appliance ;)

We never issued these when working for a reputable sparky fitting new ovens...unless he sent them in the post

Thankyou westward10 i will look this up and check. They will claim t&cs for the not fitting by a sparky but they dont know we havent got a sparky to do it yet...

But it is legal to do diy like this and get it signed off with a minor works certificate after? I know im correct on that one

Worst case we send her dad in or slag them off until they refund as we cant afford this with a little girl n they should test things. Sparky or not...they should home visit n verify it works before buying?

So whats it like to replace a heating element please? Thankyou everyone by the way

We never issued these when working for a reputable sparky fitting new ovens...unless he sent them in the post

Or he wasn't asked for them ................

Rental properties - landlords like a paper trail ........

If you read the NICEIC information they like to see a MWC issued for all accessory changes.

Maybe your "reputable" spark wasn't quite so reputable:)

Well he had been in the trade fifty odd years and has his own business. He's quite reputable and i know he did everything by the book.

Can you please help me and confirm if they broke the law selling untested goods? Thankyou

Did they sell it as a functioning appliance.

They did not say it was not tested or working before selling. You assume it works

Well he had been in the trade fifty odd years and has his own business. He's quite reputable and i know he did everything by the book.

Can you please help me and confirm if they broke the law selling untested goods? Thankyou
How do you know he did everything by the book?

You need to do some research to see if they are selling them as fully functional appliances.

Hi - agree with @Rob in post #4, it's likely to be the oven element. Sometimes they've absorbed moisture during cleaning and will come good if you can get heat into them (hair dryer?).

Reply to electric oven rcd tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock