Discuss electric oven rcd tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I dont as Im not him but i would like some advice on my particular circumstances and not scrutinising something i was wrong about please

Well he had been in the trade fifty odd years and has his own business. He's quite reputable and i know he did everything by the book.

Can you please help me and confirm if they broke the law selling untested goods? Thankyou
How do you know he did everything by the book?
Evening guys. Just bought a second hand full electric oven from a second hand shop and wired it in myself. Im not an electrician but i did it at college for two years and spent two years on site as a mate...

The circuit is 32a rcd protected and wired in 6mm twin and earth throughout the circuit. I wired from the circuit to the oven in 6mm twin and earth.

The site has a silly policy of not honouring a warranty unless installed by a qualified electrician and now they are asking for paperwork to prove it was done like this. As far as im concerned....you get no paperwork off a sparky for them fitting an electric cooker...as that falls into when they fit new corcuits etc.

Anyway the problem is that the hobs work but as soon as the oven is switched on the rcd will trip. Ive recorded a video of this and tezt my old electrician boss to ask him if any paperwork can be given for an installation like this??

Otherwise any ideas how to get the money back or what may be wrong on the cooker? Hobs work fine. Had all four on at once but oven trips immediately which suggests a conponent in the oven is faulty.

They admitted on the phone that they dont test these before they buy them as they are not electricians....

Surely if the hobs work then the oven should...

Any help is appreciated thankyou
The Hobs and the oven have different elements, the hobs may be OK but the oven elements could be faulty, simple really.

Okay thankyou guys. Will tell her to send her dad in tomo to try sort it or going to try a new element. Thankyou

Pete999 yeah i get this...i accept the oven is broken and i know its wired correct as the hob works

I will try a new element but before we have to fork out more money we will get her dad in the shop to have a friendly word about their appliances that arent tested. Thankyou all

W
Okay thankyou guys. Will tell her to send her dad in tomo to try sort it or going to try a new element. Thankyou
why not test the elements replace if required and send the seller the bill, that is if they had sold the cooker as a functioning cooker fully tested with an ISITEE sticker.

Chances are it’s not an element then unless you’ve got 2 gone which although not unheard of is unlikely.
Probably a selector switch gone

Isolate it

and take the lid off look for signs of arcing on the selector

Take the supply from a non RCD for40 mins and give it a good warm up?

Agree with westward,they surely are breaking the law

My own view is unless they advertised the cooker as a non functioning appliance or for spares,the appliance does not work as could reasonably be expected

The goods are not fit for purpose

Consumer rights act
30-day right to reject. Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly. This right is limited to 30 days from the date you take ownership of your product. After 30 days, you will not be ...

A minor works cert? Ok so i just ring my old boss and get one? Because he fitted the appliance ;)
Can we have his name? we can ensure he is avoided at all costs then. anyone fiddling paperwork should be classed as a Cowboy.

Chances are it’s not an element then unless you’ve got 2 gone which although not unheard of is unlikely.
Probably a selector switch gone

Isolate it

and take the lid off look for signs of arcing on the selector
grill element may double as a top oven element. that would be my fitst suspectif both grill and oven selection causes the tripping.

Reply to electric oven rcd tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net