Discuss Electric Radiators versus Storage Heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got any experience of replacing storage heaters with electric radiators? all the adverts say they will be cheaper to run, but i cant find any real evidence.
this is in a 2 bed flat, exposed on 3 sides, sea front, so pretty challenging, The tenants work shifts . i am nervous about giving up economy 7, losing the hot water on cheap rate etc, but they would appreciate the controllability i think, any comments appreciated. Best Branler.

My son lives in a 2 bed flat, built in 2014, latest insulation methods, double glazing etc. Only one outside wall. It's all electric, using standard panel heaters and unvented hot water system. Lives on his own. Fuel bill varies from £75 in the summer to £120 in the winter.

Yes you really need to price up a couple of options and sit down with the customer.. loosing heating the hot water on ec7 is a draw back. A very good option but expensive would be the quantum heaters that use both ec7 and a 24hr supply & are very user friendly, but looking at £600-£700 a heater

It's difficult to quantify as there are several variables. A single rate tariff is normally cheaper than a dual rate tariff. It's also possible that the heaters will be used less as they will only be switched on when needed rather than guessing tommorrows temperature with a storage heater. However, if they need a lot of heat due to the exposed walls and use a lot of hot water, the dual tariff may be beneficial.

Thank you all so much for your replies,you have given me lots to think about, i think it is finely balanced, but because they work shifts, i am minded to go with the electric radiators, and just suggest heating the water when they want a bath, (shower is electric) With regard to economy 7, although the night rate is cheap the day rate is quite a bit more expensive, Thanks to Lee,but SSE have said economy 10 is no longer available in my area. Thanks all again Best Branler.

Reply to Electric Radiators versus Storage Heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net