Discuss Electric rewire quote - what should it contain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Read post #14.

Can @Pete999 not answer a question or speak for himself now?
I'll repeat the question as I find it very relevant to what experience he has on this particular topic:
To @Pete999 Did you ever run your own business and offer free quotations for the likes of domestic rewires?

I believe camerabloke is Pete's son? So guess he would take exception to someone berating his old man. That said, I wouldn't be taken a Screwfix catalogue along with me either :)

I believe camerabloke is Pete's son? So guess he would take exception to someone berating his old man. That said, I wouldn't be taken a Screwfix catalogue along with me either :)
Not at all he is his own Man, he has is own agenda if he wants to defend me, then that's all well and good, but I'big enough, old enough to long in the tooth to let someone else fight my corner for me, if 123 want's to contact me he can via PM if he doesn't then so be it.

I think that's correct. I apologised in post 14 for going a little too far, but I found Pete's post insulting. I spend enough hours a month quoting without having to go through catalogues and the like at quote stage to offer customer more and more options.

I'm assuming that @Pete999 has ignored me...

I nicked the click display board out of Kews....well they give it me once to show a customer and I never returned it :Dit has their entire range onit. I normally show the customer it and get them to pick what they want and ask what Colour bezel they want if having downlights. I include the brand of consumer unit in the quote which 9/10 times is Hager.

Not at all he is his own Man, he has is own agenda if he wants to defend me, then that's all well and good, but I'big enough, old enough to long in the tooth to let someone else fight my corner for me, if 123 want's to contact me he can via PM if he doesn't then so be it.
PM sent
@camerabloke can you tell him I've sent a PM. As on ignore list not sure he'll get it.

I nicked the click display board out of Kews....well they give it me once to show a customer and I never returned it :Dit has their entire range onit. I normally show the customer it and get them to pick what they want and ask what Colour bezel they want if having downlights. I include the brand of consumer unit in the quote which 9/10 times is Hager.
Has anyone ever gone with that Pearl Nickel that they do?
I like Click for a lot of reasons, but Deco+ was not the new range I was hoping to see. They really need to do a decorative range in the style of Click Mode. Deco in my humble opinion is beginning to age.

My bugbear with Click is they seem so slow off the mark at times (yet to see a 3A USB socket), it is my go to range due to minigrid though.

I firstly do a proposed works, without to much detail, just number of sockets, lights etc.. Per room.
I put the proposed cost of works on a separate document refering to the proposed works.

This way the customer cannot easily use my quote to help other sparks competing with my quote. Also I haven't given enough detail for them to go ahead and do the work themselves.
Sometimes I think some customers want me to design there installation and then do it themselves.

Only if the customer accepts the proposed works do I give an actual quote after a second visit to discuss any amendments or alterations to proposed works,
It would also alter the final costing to incorporate any changes.

On another note I think someone has a bee in there bonnet. The more they are ignored the bigger that bee gets. I like it . I think I will try that next time I get a bit of strong banter.

Has anyone ever gone with that Pearl Nickel that they do?
I like Click for a lot of reasons, but Deco+ was not the new range I was hoping to see. They really need to do a decorative range in the style of Click Mode. Deco in my humble opinion is beginning to age.

My bugbear with Click is they seem so slow off the mark at times (yet to see a 3A USB socket), it is my go to range due to minigrid though.
I had a customer once who wanted pearl nickle in BG and then I really struggled getting hold of a 4g switch.

On another note I think someone has a bee in there bonnet. The more they are ignored the bigger that bee gets. I like it . I think I will try that next time I get a bit of strong banter.
Is that aimed at me? The emoji's here aren't great so I can't find the one I need:tired:

I've no bee in my bonnet. I come onto the forum to get a break from dealing with my 7 year old who behaves like a child, as she should. And also when my pregnant wife is sleeping.

I run a very successful business. I dislike poor advice being given out that in this case will have no affect on me but the advice given out may affect anyone giving quotations for the works.

One of the most popular themes on this forum is "what is your favourite/go-to brand?" Could be for accessories, consumer units, tools or whatever, the point is every electrician has their preferred brand which they will tend to stick to because they have had positive experiences of them and deem them to be a happy medium between cost and reliability, whereas a client looking at pictures in a catalogue can only go on appearance and price.

Fair enough if a customer wants chrome sockets instead of white plastic ones, but getting a load of catalogues out seems to be inviting confusion; in a worst case scenario it can hold the job up and they could unwittingly end up choosing something unreliable and/or unsuitable.

I prefer an estimate.. customer should get advice from a good spark but also have an idea of what she/he wants but be aware that there can be hidden obstacles in this type of work that can slow things (crystal ball anyone ?)...noise/dust and let neighbours know in advance...oh and I always note materials belong to " "(my good self) until payment made in full.

if the electrician is any good he will or should bring catalogs of types of accessories, Consumers Units for you to choose from, so there will be no confusion for both parties.

Yes a nice stack of catalogues is definitely a good way to tell whether an electrician is any good or not.

Clearly I’m no good because I don’t turn up to discuss a quote with a bunch of catalogues, I only ever have a few samples of the basic range of downlights and accessories I prefer to use.

Reply to Electric rewire quote - what should it contain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net