Discuss Electric Shock off a Light Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If the shock was sufficient enough to throw them a reasonable distance then there would be signs of shock injury to the body part that touched the switch and also where the current exited the body.

And burns on fingers, soles of feet etc?

Sound like someone is talking bowlicks to me.

You need to tell them that an ECG must be carried out at A+E and the wait may be up to 2 hours even to be seen.
This is because they may have suffered a disruption in their cardiac rhythm and could die any moment.
They may come clean and admit they are a thespian! Not that that is a bad thing!

Indeed.
An actual electric shock so severe would leave marks on the skin, and no doubt bruises from where the person landed.

The RCD protecting the circuit tested ok, plastic switch... connections fine.

I therefore conclude Dr Watson that there is no chance that someone could receive a shock from said apparatus.

Now if it was a metal backbox, AND there was a loose wire touching the metal, AND the backbox wasn’t earthed AND there was no RCD protection THEN I would think a shock would be probable

Some time back I started a thread on people who on finding out you are a sparks invariably have a story of how they were 'thrown across the room'.
This is one of the better ones I've heard, blasted against the door !!! That's an absolute belter (pun intended).Since that thread I've taken to telling the story tellers they are talking complete sheeit.
I suspect there may be a claim for COM-PEN-SAY-SHUN involved here.is it a rental?
edit....I see other cynics have also mentioned the C word!

If it's a cheap switch it may have been a small arc which 'escaped', especially with flourescent or other discharge lighting with capacitors in the circuit. But even then it's highly unlikely that someone would be thrown across the room.
This was the point that I was alluding to in my question of the load it was switching and seeing a small arc in the gap of the switch possibility if worn or poor contact the arc may be more significant.

This was the point that I was alluding to in my question of the load it was switching and seeing a small arc in the gap of the switch possibility if worn or poor contact the arc may be more significant.
There would definitively be burn injuries on the individuals finger.

I get the occasional muscle spasm in my hands, it feels so much like an electric shock that I have to check around to see if anything is live that I could have touched.
Other people have seen this happen and assume I’ve got a shock.

Also I worked with someone many years ago who seemed to get electric shocks from everything, although she did always wear a wool jumper. She’s also long term sick now!

I get the occasional muscle spasm in my hands, it feels so much like an electric shock that I have to check around to see if anything is live that I could have touched.

I've occasionally experienced similar.
I'm sitting watching TV or lying in bed whatever, and completely out of the blue, it's like someone has zapped me, head to toe, with the mains. Then it's gone.

Weird!

Other people have seen this happen and assume I’ve got a shock.

Also I worked with someone many years ago who seemed to get electric shocks from everything, although she did always wear a wool jumper. She’s also long term sick now!

I get that too . I have degeneration of the spine , but my neck suffers the most . When the nerve traps in the neck it is just like an electric shock.
It affects the arms too. You should go for a check up.

Even this shock only “f**king hurt”, no mention of being thrown backwards or anything.
I believe the second time he touched it was a similar experience also!

Electric Shock off a Light Switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Edit.
Duplicate post.

I get that too . I have degeneration of the spine , but my neck suffers the most . When the nerve traps in the neck it is just like an electric shock.
It affects the arms too. You should go for a check up.

Last edited:
I've been reliably informed by a customer of mine that it's probably due to an excess of electricity in the body. I gave up in the end.
..ask if they always killed digital watches ...!

----More about situation (Rainy or Dry day)....

Were they on their own , did they have to open any doors(using clothing rather than hands) ,pushing a trolley , or dragging plastic sheeting behind them.
..Had they recently got out of a car -Chauffeur assisted ?..
Any signs of a source of water .
(Does switch protrude to be used as a coat hanger on a wet day)

.. Maybe get replacement with cap covers over screws ..!

...returning to trolley--may be off it..

brain to feet elctrical impuse, as in get up and do summat.
I've occasionally experienced similar.
I'm sitting watching TV or lying in bed whatever, and completely out of the blue, it's like someone has zapped me, head to toe, with the mains. Then it's gone.

Weird!
that just happens on the rare occasions when the brain decides to shift into gear. :D:D:D.

I was asked today to oversee an investigation into a potential electric shock when someone switched a light on. The shock was described as a “massive” electric shock that supposedly blasted the victim against the adjacent door. Victim was ok afterwards with no lasting effects. Nobody seems to have seen the incident.

Me thinks somebody has been watching too much sci-fi! Or Judge Judy!

Reply to Electric Shock off a Light Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock