Discuss Electric shocks from a light switch in the kitchen due to humidity, condensation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sysrq

-
Reaction score
Considering upgrading to pull-cord or water resistant wall switch. Heard those European style switches are safer due to different design (better sealing due to bigger surface area of the rocker).
The shock was felt stronger than ever before because of the humidity and water condensation on the walls.
Last time RCD tripped after 30 minutes of buzzing in the cooker socket (conductive parts too close to screw terminals).

That sounds absolutely insane and a danger to life. Is this commercial or domestic. If its domestic I would be surprised must be boiling water non stop on all the rings. Equipment should be installed taking into account the environment it is in this clearly has not been done. If it is commercial and someone comes to harm they can sue the owner for every penny they have and then they will likely go to prison. It is a complete shambles if what you are saying is true.

If the condensation is bad enough to cause this then you have some major ventilation issues to sort out first.

That sounds absolutely insane and a danger to life. Is this commercial or domestic. If its domestic I would be surprised must be boiling water non stop on all the rings. Equipment should be installed taking into account the environment it is in this clearly has not been done. If it is commercial and someone comes to harm they can sue the owner for every penny they have and then they will likely go to prison. It is a complete shambles if what you are saying is true.

It's a domestic one.

There is no heating in the kitchen, probably because of the cold weather and the switch is on the external wall close to the back doors.
Rather than sort the electrics out you need to sort out the condensation issue.

The level of condensation you have sounds very excessive and will be affecting the fabric of the building.

Treat the problem not the symptoms.

Do you have any photos?

Rather than sort the electrics out you need to sort out the condensation issue.

The level of condensation you have sounds very excessive and will be affecting the fabric of the building.

Treat the problem not the symptoms.

Do you have any photos?

Might be just an intricate set of circumstances.

@sysrq there something illegal going on in this kitchen that is causing the issue or something?

With the amount of humidity and condensation causing these issues, if the problem isn't sorted the electrics will fail (again) and the kitchen units etc won't last too long either. And it can't be too healthy a place to live either.

Sounds like someone is just trying a cheap fix rather than sorting out a serious damp problem.

Reply to Electric shocks from a light switch in the kitchen due to humidity, condensation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net