Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Electric shocks from a light switch in the kitchen due to humidity, condensation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sysrq

sysrq Regular EF Member

Considering upgrading to pull-cord or water resistant wall switch. Heard those European style switches are safer due to different design (better sealing due to bigger surface area of the rocker).
    The shock was felt stronger than ever before because of the humidity and water condensation on the walls.
    Last time RCD tripped after 30 minutes of buzzing in the cooker socket (conductive parts too close to screw terminals).

• Old Old x 1
  2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    That sounds absolutely insane and a danger to life. Is this commercial or domestic. If its domestic I would be surprised must be boiling water non stop on all the rings. Equipment should be installed taking into account the environment it is in this clearly has not been done. If it is commercial and someone comes to harm they can sue the owner for every penny they have and then they will likely go to prison. It is a complete shambles if what you are saying is true.

3. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

If the condensation is bad enough to cause this then you have some major ventilation issues to sort out first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

sound like a sauna to me by the looks of it .not got any windows in that kitchen or is it pad cell!

5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

where about in the EU are typing in from SYSRQ my good man ?

6. sysrq

sysrq Regular EF Member

It's a domestic one.

7. sysrq

sysrq Regular EF Member

As far as I know cooker sockets are found only in the UK.

8. sysrq

sysrq Regular EF Member

There is no heating in the kitchen, probably because of the cold weather and the switch is on the external wall close to the back doors.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Best you get a competent spark in to check it out ...............

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I think you need to provide some more information, before proceeding :)

11. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Rather than sort the electrics out you need to sort out the condensation issue.

The level of condensation you have sounds very excessive and will be affecting the fabric of the building.

Treat the problem not the symptoms.

Do you have any photos?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I got a shed loads from my last cruise, wanna see them? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. sysrq

sysrq Regular EF Member

Might be just an intricate set of circumstances.

14. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

@sysrq@sysrq there something illegal going on in this kitchen that is causing the issue or something?

With the amount of humidity and condensation causing these issues, if the problem isn't sorted the electrics will fail (again) and the kitchen units etc won't last too long either. And it can't be too healthy a place to live either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jackhammerJIM

jackhammerJIM Regular EF Member

YES !

• Funny Funny x 1