Discuss Electric shower fail :( Gainsborough deluxe 10.5 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Dear all,
I'd be grateful for any advice.
It's a Gainsborough deluxe 10.5 fairly old.

I had an intermittent problem when the water wouldn't heat a couple of times. Solution was to turn the water off and on again a few times.

Now it fails but turning the water on and off doesn't solve the problem.

The pull chord works IE the light still comes on, and the water comes out when I press the start button. But no hot water. I tried twiddling the temperature dial, full cold, full hot. Water pressure is OK, at least the same as it's always been.

I can get a new motor for about ÂŁ100 but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper solution. And I enjoy fixing something rather than binning it if I can.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Bin it... No matter how much youd rather repair it (i prefer to fix things too) the uphill struggle against our throw away culture just isnt worth it.

Cheaper - maybe not
More cost effective - cirtainly

th
no hot water thermal cut out have gone .

It is worth checking if the thermal cut out has gone but then you need to know why it has gone before you replace it. the space is limited but the mounting is simple.
Another possible solution is that the connections have overheated and now no longer allow full power to the shower but just enough to operate the controls. Check for heat damaged cables in the switch and inside the shower (and possibly at the consumer unit) if you are competent and careful and ensure the power is switched off before working on anything.

It is worth checking if the thermal cut out has gone but then you need to know why it has gone before you replace it. the space is limited but the mounting is simple.
Another possible solution is that the connections have overheated and now no longer allow full power to the shower but just enough to operate the controls. Check for heat damaged cables in the switch and inside the shower (and possibly at the consumer unit) if you are competent and careful and ensure the power is switched off before working on anything.
Thanks for your reply. Would the Thermal Cut Out fail like that. I mean would it fail intermittently.

I've had a look inside and there is no sign of overheated wires. No scorching anywhere !

If you do buy a new unit altogether, please come on here and tell us how shoddy the quality is, how dodgy the case seals are, and how flimsy the knock-outs for cable entry!

Reply to Electric shower fail :( Gainsborough deluxe 10.5 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net