Discuss Electric Shower Help!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All. Hope someone can help here as I'm confused with all the info floating around all over the net.

Our shower blew its PRD last night and we were going to buy a nice new upgrade.

Having removed the cover the get the rating we discovered a 9.5kw HOWEVER, the shower is connected with (old red & black) 6mm T&E with a 32A MCB switch in the consumer unit. No idea what rating the pull switch is.

My understating is that a 9.5kw should be running with 10mm and a 45A MCB with a 45A pull switch??

The shower has seemingly been running like this for 6 years since the bathroom was done with no issues... but as above, it seems wrong and am surprised we havent burnt the house down.

Work was all done and tested and signed off, no bodging as far as I was aware but obvs I'm now questioning that!

If it helps, the cable runs from under the stairs, around 8-10 meters to the pull switch, through floor and standard stud walling.

Any advise here would be fantastic before I get a sparky in as I would like to understand this.

Many Thanks in advance

9.5 kW (40A) is just about the limit for 6.0mm cable as long as the cable is not installed in insulation. a 32A MCB will stand 40A for a good while before it trips. showers tend to be on for 10 -15 minutes , such short duration is OK for bot cable and MCB. that's why you've had no problems. just be aware that if you uprate the shower, that's when you'll need 10mm cable.

The shower the other half wants is a bit less at 9kw.

If I asked a sparky to replace my MCB for maybe a 40A and fit the new 9kw Shower, A, do you think that's suitable and would suffice & B, would a sparky be happy doing that or would they insist on fitting the 10mm?

Id rather be as safe as I can with it, as you have said it' only on for 10-20min a time so heat build up isn' a problem I don't think, but I'd rather not have to add hundreds to my bill by having to replace the cable

My shower is a 10kW and is on a 6mm cable (yes I know). It's a short run and is not in insulation and the cable barely gets warm. Not saying it's right, just thought I'd try and stop you thinking your house will catch fire.

It's more likely to catch fire from loose connections, etc. to be honest. Sorry, that's not helping now is it :eek::)

It' a Triton at min, want a Mira replacement now. New Mira is a 9kw.

As for entry points new one has a rear and will offer it up to see if it cover old mounting holes sufficiently.

CU is, I believe by looking at labels, 230V.

Measured the the distance. 8 meters from CU to pull switch, 1 meter then to shower. That' rounded up too. 10 meters for whole distance Absolute maximum.

If only it was already 10mm :(

that 6mm willl be fie and so will the 32A MCB. your nominal supply is 230V (blame them brussels sprouts for this) but it's still closer to 240V in real world. the worst thing thart can happen is the 32A MCB tripping if teenage daughters use the shower for their usual 3 hours. as DPG said, the main danger with showers is limp wristed electricians that can't tighten terminals correctly. get your new shower installed and ask the electrician to check the connections in the isolator. if he/she insists on a 10mm cable, they're fishing for work. get someone more honest.

Thanks!

Exactly what I was afraid of, getting a sparky in, No offence to any on here at all, but being told you need a full rewire for the shower and what that entails when a new like for like will go for another 6 years for sake of a "job" and to line their pockets.

Plenty of good advice and thanks very much guys. It's a mine field with much debate I can tell. It was all signed off and certified when the bathroom was done so im going to go with a like for like replacement I can do myself with no alterations.

The Mira is out you'l be pleased to know buzzlightyear! Entry points and mounting completely different to the Triton :thumbsup:

i don't like showers anyway. bloody useless objects. water gets in your single malt and makes your smoke and your book soggy. give me a bath any time. whisky on 1 side, ashtray on the other.

Reply to Electric Shower Help!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net