Discuss Electric shower query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Spark just put in a electric shower (Triton) and hit a small problem, black brick wall behind the tiles where he wanted to install.

He said not to worry, he will just trunk it up into the ceiling (which goes into the loft). To do this, he cut a hole in the top of the shower box. He hasn't sealed the hole, there's a rough 0.5cm to 1cm gap between the hole and the trunk, and the trunk isn't flush or sealed against the tile wall.

Looks like water could very easily splash into the inside of the shower box through these gaps. Is this safe? I am going to seal it myself but want to know if this could be a serious issue or not as he left it.

Thanks for your time.

so what's the other side of the black brick wall? does new shower have RCD protection? several worryim
ng points in OP>

Thanks for the replies!

I've attached some pics.

Inside the trunking is the water pipe and the electric wiring. He didn't feed anything into the wall as its black brick then into the master bedroom.

It looks like he has used a tool to cut the hole required, the edges are rough and hopefully you can see no attempt to waterproof the hole was made.

Electric shower query IMG_20181014_113053 - EletriciansForums.net

Electric shower query IMG_20181014_113125 - EletriciansForums.net

Electric shower query IMG_20181014_113142 - EletriciansForums.net

To answer some other comments:

We have RCD in the flats fuse box.

There was no electric shower in place before, but the circuit was there. The pull chord for the on/off for the shower was in place and now serves the new install.

Did he arrive on a horse? That’s appalling. He has negated the IP rating of the shower.
Water will get in, it will cause problems.

I really hope you haven’t paid him.

First of all, please DO NOT use the shower until you are 100% sure it’s sealed and safe to use. Was the electrician you used a member of a competent persons scheme?

He was dispatched via the landlord, no idea re his credentials or affiliations. He has been used by the landlord for years as far as I know. He installed our new rcd fuse box 2 years ago and replaced most of the lights in the flat this week as well as installing an extractor in the bathroom as well as the shower.

He was dispatched via the landlord, no idea re his credentials or affiliations. He has been used by the landlord for years as far as I know. He installed our new rcd fuse box 2 years ago and replaced most of the lights in the flat this week as well as installing an extractor in the bathroom as well as the shower.

Reply to Electric shower query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock