Discuss Electric vehicle charging points. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i am in process of getting olev approval for installing them so i can get the customers a £500 grant towards cost. twice i lost a job as I couldnt match somebody who could get the grant for them.
Main issue to be aware of is the issue of exporting PME, some of the newer models allow the use of PME, (Or if british gas are fitting it use pme and dont do risk assessment regardless)
To get olev approval you need manufacturers letter of introduction so to speak but is a formality if on a scheme and have the right qualifications. you can do a 1 day niceic course in it and its a simple 20 question job you'd struggle to fail if you tried to.
If you want to install the larger workplace chargers, a lot of manufacturers insist on ac status with niceic or equivalent. for domestic charges any part p scheme will suffice.
Really they are not much more than adding another small cu to an installation.

Josh, you’re a boy of very few words and the words you do use are not constructive, descriptive or polite. My ‘advice’ - go away, think about how you address the members on here then come back and start again.
My advice, not necessarily felt by all those participating in the festivities!

Do you have to be approved/registered to install a ev charger or can you just buy one and install it to MI.?
Anybody can install one @bigspark17 , its notifiable and also has to be notified to the dno either direct or via the uk power network people. as they like to know about the loads on network.
in terms of installing them, if your customer wants to get the £500 grant towards installation cost then you need to be olev approved. the charge pods come in around £350-400, so the grant comes in handy, typical installation where no digging trenches for cables etc extra consumer units or henleys etc required seems to be around £800, customer pays you £300 you claim £500 back from government. if extra work is required then you charge extra as required. they are basically a glorified 32 amp consumer unit with a rcd/rcbo inside and earthed mainly with a rod, I have helped install a couple and it take a couple of hours to do it tidy. if you allow 500 of the £800 for the charger and materials, then for 2 or 3 hours work you are left with £300. there is a few forms to fill in and you have to take a couple of pics to send OLEV to get your £500. some liek it some dont, but I have had a few enquiries about them and Bath is quite an affluent city and people are buying into the electric vehicle thing.
The image in this post is the wiring inside a rolec wall pod. nothing fancy at all.

rolec wiring.jpg

Blue is the only recognised colour for identifying the neutral!
Black is a phase identification colour ie L2
Sorry couldn’t help myself :)

Its not one i installed. Thats just an image i pulled of google purely to show the workings and how little is inside. They come ready assembled and its the whole thing about manufacturers instructions... If they have designed it in such a way can we then change it?? I also noticed the cpc is part of a 3 core. So either they have tt set up. Or confirmed with dno its tns and will not go to pme... Otherwise if its pme you have to risk assess it. If in doubt put it on a rod.

Reply to Electric vehicle charging points. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net