Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Electrical and Electrical HND transferable skills? in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Practical Goat

Practical Goat EF Member

*Electrical and Electronic (apologies for the mispelt title)

Hi guys,

Might seem a bit of a strange question... I'm currently just in the final few months of my Electrical and Electronic HND. I've recently been helping my mate doing a house re-wire and really enjoy that side of things. If I did want to go down that route, would I need to do a full 3 year apprenticeship? I'm very good friends with the Electrical Installation lecturer at my college so wanted to know the ins and outs before I ask him if there is any specific courses available.

Thanks.

2. derek

derek Regular EF Member

The college will probably let you skip the more basic electrical theory parts of the course, but you'll need to speak to the lecturers.
    If you want a JIB gold card then you'll still need to satisfy their qualification and experience requirements, most often for an Installation Electrician with a C&g 2365 lv3 theory qualification , AM2 and an NVQ lv3 or the c&g 2357 NVQ lv 3.
    There are other qualifications for Electrical Maintenance and other aspects of the electrical industry.

3. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

There could be some transferable knowledge but as above you'l still have to do the apprenticeship and get he required qualifications there is no quick and easy way to be a fully qualified electrician. Or there is the domestic installer, which personally I feel isn't worth the paper it' written on.