Discuss Electrical cable Overheating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Roshan

-
Reaction score
I hava a 185sqmm SWA/XLPE underground cable supplying 240kW(Peak) at 400v. Ambient temp. around 28 c .
  • What is considered the upper temperature limit the cable can heat upto?
  • What is the standard (theoretical calculation) available to get the overheating limit?

Hi - you can ask manufacturer to confirm, but max conductor temperature of 90 C may be possible, depending on the installation terminations also being rated to that temperature. Otherwise I use 70 C.
Is 28 C the ambient temperature of the air or the ground?

How much current are you pulling through that cable out of interest?

As already said, 90C for Thermosetting cable but terminations will likely only be rated for 70C. Where your terminations are will be subject to different rating factors though. E.g. you could have cable in buried ductwork in excess of 70C and termination points above ground at less than 70C which would be fine. Also, how deep is it buried and is it grouped with any other cables?

Sounds like a college question - not sure if he’d ask on a forum relating to a 185mm, that’s a big booger.

Reply to Electrical cable Overheating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Doing a cable calc for college and need to know the ambient temperature of this circuit - Supplied from a board inside where the ambient temp is...
Replies
Views
Calculate the temperature rise in a system consisting of six conductors carrying 1500 amperes each at 132kV, insulated with XLPE, and spanning a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a client who is developing a plot of land for a single house. Currently, their 100 amp service cut-out is in a cubicle fed by...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Newbie to the forum. I am planning to add solar power to my house and would like some advice regarding options with adding and inverter...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock