Discuss Electrical circuit in old Horse trailer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ronecc

-
Reaction score
My son and I are converting an old horse trailer into a catering unit. It is planned to supply the trailer with a generator, 2.8-3Kw.
Inside will be three fridges and one freezer, some LED strip light and maybe tree vintage style 60w lamps. Fridges will be
1 x 230w
2 x 180w
1x 150w
LED 50w
Lamps 3x 60W
The plan is to run cable from the genny to an exterior waterproof socket, then to a garage consumer unit inside trailer. The CU has one RCB at 40 amp, one MCB at 6 amp and two MCB's at 16 amp.
One 230w fridge and one 180w fridge to run off one 16 amp MCB and one 180w fridge and one 150w from the other 16 amp.
The lights will run off the 6 amp MCB.
Would you suggest it better to run it as a ring circuit, or would it be okay as three separate spurs from the Consumer unit.
Would it be advisable to earth the generator to a ground peg?
Any advise would be welcome

run the sockets as 1 16A radial circuits. for what you have listed.
keep 2nd spare for any future additions that you may think of. e.g. tea urn.

consider an earthing spike for the van, as well as or instead of at the geeny. a lot of these smaller gennys don't require an earth. check manufacturer's instructions on this.

It will all have to be run in flexible cable, not solid cores. The flexible cable ends will have to have ferrules on.

I would recommend that you find a local sparky to discuss this with as you hint towards this being for commercial use. The installation will have to comply with Part 7 of BS7671 and will require certifying. No doubt you're business insurance will require all of this as part of the cover agreement.

Have you thought about running the whole lot as a 12 volt system? Install a couple of leisure batteries, an inverter for 230 volt appliances and possibly a couple of PV panels on the roof for charging?

It will all have to be run in flexible cable, not solid cores. The flexible cable ends will have to have ferrules on.

I would recommend that you find a local sparky to discuss this with as you hint towards this being for commercial use. The installation will have to comply with Part 7 of BS7671 and will require certifying. No doubt you're business insurance will require all of this as part of the cover agreement.

Have you thought about running the whole lot as a 12 volt system? Install a couple of leisure batteries, an inverter for 230 volt appliances and possibly a couple of PV panels on the roof for charging?
Hi Strima. Thanks for your reply. Not sure how long three fridges and a freezer and lighting would last on a couple of batteries. Or how long they would charge for in this grey country. Not a bad idea but a large expense if it does not last for twelve hours or so.

Hi,you are probably going to need some specific input,from someone who can see what you have.
The design and selection of the hardware,will be dependant on the construction of the trailer.

I have been involved in similar conversions,in the last year,some fad about drinking wine in old Rice 2 horse trailers...biggest problem being capability and compliance regarding brakes,handbrake and tyres.

You may need a dog,and a long extension reel as people who like sipping plonk in a nag's uber ride,don't like to hear a genny throbbing away.

The dog gets to look after the genny,which is now too far away,to stop it being chorred. :)

Hi PEG. Thanks for your input. My son actually lives in Bury. Would it be convenient for you to give us some advise as you have been involved with a few. He is the one sorting out insurance etc, I am the main DIY side.

You've dropped yourself in it there PEG. At least you'll get some free drinks though. :):):)

Reply to Electrical circuit in old Horse trailer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net