Discuss Electrical Condition Report and Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James McDermott

Hi all
Im a Sole trader electrician and i have about 7 years of experience. I would consider myself competent at testing and I regularly test my own jobs but ive only really subbed to firms that have Part P and are members of NICEIC or the other electrical bodies, i dont personally hold Part P qual and Im not a member myself of NICEIC. I do not do enough of my own jobs to warrant joining NICEIC or getting the part P qual.
My problem comes as my friend has asked me to test his house (as part of him selling it) which I can physically do but Im confused if I can self certify the house and produce a condition report for the letting agency and inform building control as a one off. Or do I need turn down the work and get another electrician to come test?
Any information to clear this up for me would be great
Many thanks

you can do an EICR for your mate. complete the certificate. part pee and LABC are irrelevant here as they only apply to installation works. you will not be certifying installation work, but completing a condition report. any faults that require remedial work come under the umbrella of maintenance and, as such, part pee and notification to LABC do not apply. however, any remedial work that you may do must comply with BS7671.

I guess the issue is do you believe you are competent in carrying out EICRs? There is a difference between inspecting & testing work you have done and an EICR (I'm assuming it's an EICR that's required!).
If you believe you have better than average knowledge of BS7671, go for it.

Sorry I didn't mean a letting agency. It is his estate agent that has asked for a condition report on his house prior to him selling it.
Unfortunately even at £288 for 1 job i cant see it being worth, I do see where you coming from though. It might be worth me considering for in the furture

I will add that if you intended to do more EICRs than just your mates then Professional Indemnity insurance is a must. This takes you up to the next level of responsibility but insures you just in case.

James Mcdermott, just out of interest, what quals do you have? And do you find you get on okay not being a member to any CPS? Is most of your work subby work?

I have my C + G level 3 and 17th. But yeah I just subb to firms and baring last Xmas I haven't been out of work. But a lot of the work I do is more commercial or industrial rather then domestic.

Sorry I didn't mean a letting agency. It is his estate agent that has asked for a condition report on his house prior to him selling it.
Unfortunately even at £288 for 1 job i cant see it being worth, I do see where you coming from though. It might be worth me considering for in the furture
Might be worth asking the estate agent if they require any particular registration or qualifications requirements for producing a report. If not, then crack on.

Might be worth asking the estate agent if they require any particular registration or qualifications requirements for producing a report. If not, then crack on.

I think that could be a leading question .. Most estate agents call the report a safety certificate.... And some have heard of the NICEIC....

So just crack on...

Reply to Electrical Condition Report and Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net