• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Electrical inspection and old boards with asbestos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys just been asked to carry out an inspection at a warehouse. Got there and first two boards I saw were the really ones with rewirable fuses asbestos flash tape and exposed bus bars. There are a couple of new boards as well My question is should I just carry out a visual and fail it straight away or should I do a full inspection and fail it?

I guess you are doing an EICR. Your job is to carry out an inspection and comment on departures from BS7671.
See anything in the good book about asbestos?
So you cannot fail it on that basis.

You should make a comment about this in the notes section, perhaps with a replacment recommendation, but it cannot be a fail.

> You may need to think about your personal protection during the inspection process, though.

And am right in saying that the old boards do not meet any fire regs and that rewirable fuses are an automatic C2 nowadays
If the enclosure doesn't meet today's edition of the regs then its a C3, nothing more.
Rewireable fuses are perfectly acceptable, assuming EFLI etc allow their use.

“Automatic C2”....where’d you get that?. Recommend changing to cartridge fuses if you can get suitable carriers. You might have a point with the open busbars, though.

An EICR does not fail it is either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. BS3036 semi enclosed fuses are still in compliance with BS7671 but apply the correction factor for such devices when assessing overcurrent compliance, this should be rudimentary knowledge for a person carrying out EICRs. The presence of asbestos is a separate issue from BS7671 and you must follow your company policy when confronted with it.

I was under the impression that hse guide lines were to not disturb the asbestos so would not be able to remove the fuses safely.

You can safely work with asbestos in certain limited situations if you have some basic training. Here is a link to the guide you can purchase from the HSE.
Asbestos Essentials, HSG210: A Task Manual for Building, Maintenance and Allied Trades on Non-licensed Asbestos Work, HSG210 - https://books.hse.gov.uk/bookstore.asp?ACTION=BOOK&PRODUCTID=9780717665037

I highly recommend it as a very useful guide to understanding what you can and can't do and what to expect if you come across asbestos.

I did the non licensed full asbestos awareness course which allows me to work on non licensed asbestos removal and repairs. I highly recommend you look into this course. I imagine most local training providers will advise you on this.

Here is an example of one
Cat B Asbestos Awareness Training | Asbestos Training LTD - https://www.asbestostraininglimited.com/non-licensable-works-training/ukata-cat-b-training?gclid=CjwKCAiA5qTfBRAoEiwAwQy-6SV5T1FNyFRiabC16dQ5S5surKGshg1o8vxhAeN-uYtUnGoyAnj0AxoCWDAQAvD_BwE

It cost me around £150 for a full day's course. It opened my eyes especially the fact that there are 6 main types of asbestos that are commonly put into 3 categories. Although asbestos is hazardous in general some types can be extremely harmful, especially if disturbed.

carry out a full inspection and list all defects, otherwise could be in a situation where customer agrees to pay to rectify first defect found, then you go back and find other defects, which means another conversation.

Reply to Electrical inspection and old boards with asbestos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back