Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Electrical install by Diesel Pump in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for installing a 230v spur outlet near to diesel pumps.
    As diesel does not burn easily is this still classed as a hazardous area?

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

As long as the spur is protected from ingress from the fuel it should be okay. Diesel has a much higher flash point than petroleum.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. mache

mache DIY

you might want to confirm that any materials you use including cables seals etc are suitable and are not degraded by petroleum based products.

4. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Its basically what I thought, but always nice to get 2nd opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

A diesel pump would be considerd a hazardous area and come under ATEX regulatined. Look for the little Ex symbol on the pump next time your at Tesco filling up your car.

6. westward10

Does this apply if it is a stand alone dispenser with no petroleum on the site. The Ex symbol on an item of equipment does not indicate a hazardous area just its suitability for hazardous environments.

7. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

A filling station forecourt will be considered a hazardous area. I've worked on aviation fuel (pretty close to diesel) farms and again these are zoned. Now a domestic heating oil tank say or a 1000L tank holding diesel I wouldn't like to say. I would tend to treat it as one tonne on the safe side. Life is all about liability these days. Your correct in what you say about Ex markings but people don't tend to use unless forced doe to things generally costing 10 times as much.

8. westward10

So a standalone diesel dispenser with no petroleum facilities such as a farm is zoned. I was under the impression, correct me if I am wrong that a diesel dispenser is only deemed hazardous if it is in a certain proximity to petroleum whereby it is not the diesel which forms an ignition hazard but the diesel dispenser itself because of the petroleum. Obviously diesel is an environmental hazard.

9. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

I'd have to double check as I only do industrial stuff but I believe diesel is now part of EN60079-17. Filling stations are covered in a separate set of modules. Diesel is a mixture of different hydrocarbons, if you heat it (hot sunny day for example) there is a risk of light ends flashing off and forming an explosive atmosphere.