Discuss Electrical install by Diesel Pump in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for installing a 230v spur outlet near to diesel pumps.
As diesel does not burn easily is this still classed as a hazardous area?

As long as the spur is protected from ingress from the fuel it should be okay. Diesel has a much higher flash point than petroleum.

you might want to confirm that any materials you use including cables seals etc are suitable and are not degraded by petroleum based products.

A diesel pump would be considerd a hazardous area and come under ATEX regulatined. Look for the little Ex symbol on the pump next time your at Tesco filling up your car.

A diesel pump would be considerd a hazardous area and come under ATEX regulatined. Look for the little Ex symbol on the pump next time your at Tesco filling up your car.
Does this apply if it is a stand alone dispenser with no petroleum on the site. The Ex symbol on an item of equipment does not indicate a hazardous area just its suitability for hazardous environments.

A filling station forecourt will be considered a hazardous area. I've worked on aviation fuel (pretty close to diesel) farms and again these are zoned. Now a domestic heating oil tank say or a 1000L tank holding diesel I wouldn't like to say. I would tend to treat it as one tonne on the safe side. Life is all about liability these days. Your correct in what you say about Ex markings but people don't tend to use unless forced doe to things generally costing 10 times as much.

So a standalone diesel dispenser with no petroleum facilities such as a farm is zoned. I was under the impression, correct me if I am wrong that a diesel dispenser is only deemed hazardous if it is in a certain proximity to petroleum whereby it is not the diesel which forms an ignition hazard but the diesel dispenser itself because of the petroleum. Obviously diesel is an environmental hazard.

I'd have to double check as I only do industrial stuff but I believe diesel is now part of EN60079-17. Filling stations are covered in a separate set of modules. Diesel is a mixture of different hydrocarbons, if you heat it (hot sunny day for example) there is a risk of light ends flashing off and forming an explosive atmosphere.

Did a bit of work at diesel pumps a while ago, this probably isn't much help but the first thing they always checked when testing it was that armour gland were flash proof, from memory they were a bit like cy armour gland but had a high explosive rating to prevent and flashes

Old topic but to clear things up it isn't as generic as diesel is a hazardous area install Ex rated equipment.

A hazardous area is risk assessed and zoned according to the probability, frequency and duration of an explosive gas atmosphere.

It isn't down to you as an installer to risk assess and decide on the equipment required.

The area will be zoned, given a gas group for the gas present and temperature class for the ignition temperature of the gas present and its from this that you can select your equipment. The whole area isn't the same zone, areas are divided into different zones from 0 to 2 and then non hazardous.

The more ventilation the area has the safer it is, for example with regards to petrol pumps its only the area immediately around the nozzle which is of the higher risk/lower zone as you then have too much oxygen and inefficient fuel for the gas to be within its flammable range.

Also to clarify 60079-17 is the part of 60079 covering inspection and maintenance, there isn't a part including diesel as it isn't as specific as that. It covers inspection and maintenance for equipment within explosive atmospheres.

For what's its worth the diesel pump stations I have worked on over the years have not been classified as hazardous areas /explosive gas atmospheres but that isn't too say they all are.

Reply to Electrical install by Diesel Pump in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net