Discuss Electrical Installation Certs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

topcat72

hi all

I am sure this question has been asked many times, however i would like some clarification please.
is there a guide anywhere on here that explains to what extent you should fill in a full electrical installation test cert and what should be entered if you have only installed 1 additional circuit to an existing DB.

It seems a complete waste of time and resource that you should enter limitations for the supply characteristics and earthing arrangements for example, as you cannot be responsible for the condition of the whole installation when only installing 1 new circuit.

it is my understanding that although a minor works should only be used for an alteration for up to 3 additional circuits the information entered into a full electrical cert is only relevant for the new circuit installed.

i hope that makes sense.

thanks in advance

TC

You are not responsible for the whole installation, you are certifying your work.
However the earthing and bonding must be checked and verified as it will effect any work you install. I wouldn't start an install without checking beforehand.

And if it is in your house that you have just secured the mortgage on - remember it is built of extraneous conductive materials. :)

i am fully aware of regulation 132.16 and it states that "the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate"

it is never an option to check the earthing requirements of an existing installation before we carry out an install as it is for tenant sub metering and data logging equipment, obviously as a sparky with 30 years experience it is common sense that such parameters should be checked before carrying out an install, along with polarity and phase rotation, however the cert is only covering the additional circuit not the supply parameters and earthing arrangements.

without carrying out an adiabatic equation it should always be assumed that such parameters were calculated at the design stage of the original install.

i just beleive it is a waste of time as the electrical cert is not bespoke to the additional circuit.

i was after some guidance notes, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

cheers

TC

TC , if you are talking about a new circuit . The EIC requires you to fill in the supply characteristics, earthing type etcetera.
What more were you thinking of adding , or have I completely misunderstood what you are asking. :)

Okay my view is this.......
Adding a new circuit requires an electrical installation certificate.
This certificate should include the earthing arrangement used tn-s etc etc. Any protective bonding conductors serving what services should be confirmed, size recorded,ticked for continuity and verified for suitably of continued service or if inadequate newly installed.
The supply characteristics should be recorded and if the DNO fuse can't be obtained then a not verified/ limitation should be recorded.
Size of supply conductors recorded and material ,earthing conductor bs en of the main switch of the consumer unit.
The schedule of inspections should be ticked off to what is relevant to what you have installed and not any of the other circuits.
The circuit installed then is recorded and tested in the appropriate columns.

Apologies if what I've said is stating the bleeding obvious to yourself but I'm unaware of any guides other than maybe guidance note 3 or the niceic publication guide to inspection and testing amendment 3.

Last edited:
hi Ian

thank you, that is more the confirmation i was after, maybe i havnt explained myself very well, i understand what should be tested and reported, i have and understand gn3 and bs7671, it was just the fact that there is a lot of information required on an EIC that isnt relevant to just adding 1 circuit to an existing installation, it seems a waste of a full cert for 1 circuit.

thank you all for comments.
when we are due our next eca audit i will discuss further with the eca auditor to confirm we are recording the correct info.

thanks

TC

hi Ian

thank you, that is more the confirmation i was after, maybe i havnt explained myself very well, i understand what should be tested and reported, i have and understand gn3 and bs7671, it was just the fact that there is a lot of information required on an EIC that isnt relevant to just adding 1 circuit to an existing installation, it seems a waste of a full cert for 1 circuit.

thank you all for comments.
when we are due our next eca audit i will discuss further with the eca auditor to confirm we are recording the correct info.

thanks

TC
All the information recorded is to confirm compliance really to bs 7671 and is a source of information for anyone adding/maintaining and testing the installation as long as the documents are to hand and kept safe for future reference.

just to add, in the situation where I'm adding a circuit to an existing CU, I use the word "used" where there is an existing MCB/RCBO in place and "spare" where there is a blank .... then the full details of the circuit I've added.

This then makes it 100% clear what my cert is covering...

It seems a complete waste of time and resource that you should enter limitations for the supply characteristics and earthing arrangements for example
Limitations ONLY EVER apply to an Electrical Installation Condition Report. You can't use a limitation relevant to what you are certifying as compliant!

Limitations ONLY EVER apply to an Electrical Installation Condition Report. You can't use a limitation relevant to what you are certifying as compliant!

So what do you put on a EIC is you can't verify the DNO fuse?

One you ask the customer to obtain he information.
Two you obtain the information and charge the customer for doing such.

One you ask the customer to obtain he information.
Two you obtain the information and charge the customer for doing such.
They sometimes simply can't give an answer and no one from the DNO is going to come out and remove the cut out fuse so you can see if it's 60,80 or 100 amp.
I do understand they are required to give you the info tho but it's not always the case.
Maybe it a north east problem?

Why dont you ask for the original installation cirtificate all the information should be on there , i sure all installations domestic, commercial, and industrial will have one to hand !!!!!. Mind you for the very few installation certs i have come across generally have the wrong info on anyway, So Im afraid the only cert i know of when adding a circuit is an installation cert, Athough i think there should be a smaller cert for just adding one circuit as you do end up putting N/A in a lot of the tick boxes

I think I know where your coming from you are adding a new circuit but now this involves more than one page of info rather than a one page minor works certificate. Why does it need to be a new circuit can't you spur socket off existing R.F.C..

Reply to Electrical Installation Certs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock