Discuss electrical question about transformers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mdjakhi

Hi guys,
this is probably a really weird question... you know how there is 3 cables coming in from the transformers to your home? (2x 120V, 1X bare copper neutral). My question is what are the cables feeding into the transformer? is there a neutral wire that goes all the way back to the power generator?

Hi welcome to the forum.

I'm as I can see from your profile you are in Canada and I'm not very sure of the Canadian electrical grid but here in the UK it must be different from there as here we have 1x 230V line and 1x neutral unless it is a 3 phase supply in which there is 3x 230V to earth wires (400V between phases) and a 1X neutral so this sounds different to you.

Also i could be wrong but electric is Sent through the power grid at very high voltages of 400,000V and 275,000V and then locally stepped down to around 33,000V then to the standard 230V, also I think they are sent in a delta configuration so there is no need for a neutral

Again I could be totally wrong as I havnt even though about this stuff for about 3 years, hope this is helpful

It is distributed as Delta using high voltages, no neutral. The final distribution transformers are connected Delta for the primary and Wye for the secondary with the neutral derived from the Wye point, this would be a basic setup although other secondary configurations are possible.

It is distributed as Delta using high voltages, no neutral. The final distribution transformers are connected Delta for the primary and Wye for the secondary with the neutral derived from the Wye point, this would be a basic setup although other secondary configurations are possible.
Usually distributed via an open HV Ring @11KV although other HV dist is also used 11KV is what I worked on.

Smaller supplies in some areas are fed with a single HV cable to the primary of the transformer, the return being via an earth electrode.
800px-Swer_power_distribution.svg.png

quote [ is there a neutral wire that goes all the way back to the power generator? }

NOPE !
The neutral only goes to the local transformer.
The three phase High tension supply is delta
which has no neutral unless you create one with a transformer.
You should ask questions about the American power supply system
on an American site such as DIY chat room
Or if you a bonafida electrical worker ?
then they may let you on Electrician talk.
But it's mostly electricians and only electricians
sometimes they will have mercy on you,
if your a green horn or trainee !
good luck.

Reply to electrical question about transformers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net