Discuss Electrical safety certificate and downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

EICR is compulsory for let properties in Scotland.
Malicious rumour had it that nicola was dating a spark.
Letting agents aren't all bad, but many of them are useless, hence the new legislation that they all have to be registered and licensed. Like that'll help?
I never use an agent, do it myself, choose my contractors, keep control of every stage. OK, if you've got multiple properties, that's a different proposition, but if only 1 or 2, it's DIY time. (NOT for the electrics, I mean for the management)

This is the 'spark' who was pumping the wee circus freak....

blind-sons-stow-ohio-hvac-plumber-electrician.jpg

Last edited:

EICR is compulsory for let properties in Scotland.
Malicious rumour had it that nicola was dating a spark.
Letting agents aren't all bad, but many of them are useless, hence the new legislation that they all have to be registered and licensed. Like that'll help?
I never use an agent, do it myself, choose my contractors, keep control of every stage. OK, if you've got multiple properties, that's a different proposition, but if only 1 or 2, it's DIY time. (NOT for the electrics, I mean for the management)

Took me a few minutes to compute that. You should be careful with slanderous statements, might get you in trouble :)

You're right Midwest. I apologise unreservedly to Mr. Blind for saying that he had sex with that grotesque minger as the consequence of grossly impaired vision.

No gas is required but electrical is optional

As a landlord you are required to ensure that the electrical installation is safe and suitable for use before each letting.

The Landlords and Tenancy Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when the tenancy begins, and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.

The Housing Act 2004 requires that all hazards are assessed so electrically this means electrical hazards for fixed wiring and portable electrical equipment, including automatic fire detection etc.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require that if you provide any electrical equipment, boilers, cookers, fires, fridges etc that they are safe when first provided and remain safe.

The only way a landlord can do that is by having an EICR carried out with a Satisfactory result and if applicable PA Testing so I'd not describe an EICR as optional.

It really annoys me when property management companies, estate agents etc charge landlords management fees yet advise the landlord that they don't need to have electrical testing done when as seen from above the opposite is the case.

If a tennant was injured or killed the courts would hold the landlord responsible if they couldn't prove that they had complied with the above acts; the only way to prove they had is by having regular EICRs and PA Testing carried out.

As a landlord you are required to ensure that the electrical installation is safe and suitable for use before each letting.

The Landlords and Tenancy Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when the tenancy begins, and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.

The Housing Act 2004 requires that all hazards are assessed so electrically this means electrical hazards for fixed wiring and portable electrical equipment, including automatic fire detection etc.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require that if you provide any electrical equipment, boilers, cookers, fires, fridges etc that they are safe when first provided and remain safe.

The only way a landlord can do that is by having an EICR carried out with a Satisfactory result and if applicable PA Testing so I'd not describe an EICR as optional.

It really annoys me when property management companies, estate agents etc charge landlords management fees yet advise the landlord that they don't need to have electrical testing done when as seen from above the opposite is the case.

If a tennant was injured or killed the courts would hold the landlord responsible if they couldn't prove that they had complied with the above acts; the only way to prove they had is by having regular EICRs and PA Testing carried out.

You've hit the nail on the head there, dksanders.

SELECT is currently lobbying the Scottish Government for legislation that would compel landlords to submit written evidence that they have had electrical inspection and testing undertaken on properties that they let, and to also prove that fire, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted and operational.

https://www.select.org.uk/scottish-government-consult-landlord-registration

Landlords should also be required to submit proof that whoever they hired to carry-out the EICR was suitably qualified and competent to do so.

Reply to Electrical safety certificate and downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net